1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregonian editorial page editor dies (after paying a college student for sex)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Would be pretty interesting to see what he wrote about David Wu, the Oregon Congressman Pelosi essentially forced to resign after an 18-year-old staffer said Wu pressured her into having sex.

He also was named the Oregonian's editorial page editor in 1995, the year Bob Packwood resigned. So you would think he weighed in there too.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

So long as he shielded the children from Doonesbury, can he be all bad?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

As Richard Pryor would say, he came and went at the same time.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's interacting with readers and then there's ...

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mentoring?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Am I just grouping all these things together unfairly, and maybe these stories exist in bunches in other locales? Or does Oregon seem to have way more than its share of old-guy-caught-with-pants-down stories? Packwood; the former governor who raped his teenage neighbor and covered it up for 20 years; David Wu; the mayor of Portland was recently caught up in a scandal surrounding his sex life with a very young man ...

Blame it on the rain, maybe.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What's the problem? He was just doing his part to promote higher education.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Job opening!

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

At least she wasn't taking up an internship.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of an impact the lying to the paper by the "family friend" had to do with them making sure to publish the ugly details now?

I'm sure we've all had editors who would have been fine letting the guy rest in peace with his reputation intact ... until finding out they were lied to. Then when that happens, all bets are off.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't think it was ugly. He had sex and croaked. Can you say you will be as lucky?

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm sure his wife and three daughters thought it was a beautiful way to go, Drip.

Draft saved Draft deleted