1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregon SID assistant

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

DISCLAIMER: I know the title says intern, but it actually pays better than many full-time positions.

University of Oregon
    Media Services Intern

The University of Oregon, an NCAA Division I institution and successful member of the Pacific-10 Conference, is currently accepting applications for the position of full time intern in the Media Services Office. The position is a 12-month appointment commencing anytime after July 1, 2009, and reports directly to the director of media services.

Responsibilities include direct involvement with all 19 intercollegiate programs while overseeing Olympic sports as assigned, in addition to writing news releases and feature stories, designing media guides as well as assisting with the production of football and basketball game programs. Successful candidates should maintain a proficiency in PC computers as well as experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. Experience in web site editing also a plus. Minimum qualifications include an undergraduate degree and one year of experience in the sports information field in a college or professional sports setting, or equivalent.

A stipend of $24,000 will be available for the internship on a 12 month term, to run from commencement of appointment through June 30, 2010, plus event income from lending statistical assistance during network television and radio broadcasts.

Qualified candidates should send a letter of application, resume (including references) and work samples to: David Williford, Director of Media Services, University of Oregon, 2727 Leo Harris Parkway, Eugene, OR 97401. Resumes will also be accepted by e-mail (send to Greg Walker, assoc. dir., at gswalker@uoregon.edu). Deadline for application is June 30, 2009, or until position is filled.

2. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Given the current job market shoudl someone without the one year of experience apply? I know that writing for a college paper doesn't mean squat most every time but I figure maybe that angle would be worth a shot here.

maybe?

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've applied to just about every SID internship out there during the past 3-4 months. This is one of the two or three better ones that's been posted. I have about half a year of working 35-40 hours a week in an SID office on top of three years prior to that during which I worked for my school newspaper, had two newspaper internships and then an internship with NBC in Beijing. I've gotten a total of one interview out of the 40+ applications I've sent out. So I'm not going to discourage you from applying, but I know of one internship that paid around 14k for the year and got 110+ applications.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You can live on $24k in Eugene, not well, but if you figure you won't need a great apartment since you'll be working all the time, you might get buy on just renting a room somewhere close to campus and scarfing all the press box spreads you can get your hands on.
    And spend that year sucking up to every TV crew, corporate sponsor and visiting team SID that comes through town for your next gig.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A lot of us here have lived on less than $24k for many years.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does that make it right?

I'm betting this is something for a person just out of college, or has been done for a year or two at most?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Stitch,

It is what it is. Considering it's more than double what I got paid during an internship in the early 1990s, you won't hear me bitching.

I got a buddy and former colleague that graduated from UO like three years ago that might be perfect for this job.... except that he's getting married this summer.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Most of the folks who have held this position in the past half-dozen years have been exactly that -- either just out of college or done for one, *maybe* two, years.

The Oregon SID staff is great -- as a whole, some of the best SIDs I've worked with (a slight bias but also strong familiarity), you'll get to meet all the other Pac-10 SIDs if you want to kiss up for jobs and you would probably want to live across the river from campus to be close to the office.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

First place gets the SID assistant job.

Second place gets the uniform design job.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The uniforms need work.

11. copygoldleader

copygoldleader New Member

You have to wonder why Nike has gone so far off the board with their uniforms.

http://www.goducks.com/downloads1/10163.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/3005834173_d3f91b2dc3_b.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted