1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orange slices for everyone, or the I Hate Soccer thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm going to the Irish bar tomorrow to watch U.S.-England, and I'm going to cheer in Portugese alongside my Italian greyhound seeing-eye dog.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I want to love soccer. I really do ... I enjoy the game, and see a lot in the strategy, and the low-scoring nature only increases the intensity.

The only thing that keeps me from doing it are soccer fans.

There's the in-your-face, if you don't like soccer you must be some kind of jingoistic Neanderthal that doesn't appreciate the beauty of a 0-0 game types.

And there's the suburban minivan mommy who would call me every other week and say "you know, if you covered soccer like you do football, it would be just as popular." They're the ones who cite youth participation numbers to "prove" that soccer will soon be the most popular sport in America.

And there's the "I have to play soccer year-round for this travel team and quit ALL of my other high school sports" people. Soccer didn't singlehandedly create the mindset that athletes must play year-round travel sports and specialize in one sport, but soccer is by far the biggest offender in the slow death of high school sports to club teams & specialization.

I just find it hard to give in to those people.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

crimson, you don't have to "give in" to those stereotypes. If you enjoy watching, watch. If you don't, don't. But don't let your enjoyment of it be swayed by others.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, I love the NFL despite the existence of Steelers fans. (Had to, Inky; couldn't resist)

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Many people talk about how much they hate the NBA and brag about how much they hate it and how terrible it is -- occasionally on NBA threads here -- even though the last time they watched a game Anthony Mason or maybe even Walt Frazier were playing starring roles for the Knicks. It doesn't bother me, even though it makes as much sense and is as accurate as me (who has never watched an entire soccer game) talking about the lack of fundamentals in FIFA or how boring the game is.

But I'll watch some this year because of the host country and I'll keep my rabid anti-soccer thoughts in my own cold, dark, lonely heart. Well, except for this little comment on this little thread, I guess.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Football is way more weird of a game than soccer is if you think about it.

I just don't understand how American soccer haters are right while 2.5 billion people around the world are all wrong.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And the columnists who write their stereotypical "Soccer sucks" columns right around this time display their ignorance as much as their laziness.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I dont like NASCAR or soccer, but will pay attention to the World Cup. GO AMERICA!

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

For many, it's "(fill in the blank) sucks" and in this case, the blank happens to be filled by soccer.

Pretty tired.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I frequently watch international soccer, and I'll watch as much of the Mundial as I can. The only soccer fans I try to tune out are those who think M.L.S. is anywhere near that level and who think Americans have a duty to embrace soccer.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I do the same with Formula 1 racing and tune out those that think NASCAR is better.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How original.

Feel better now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.