1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orange County Register to have staffers pictures accompany each story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2010/08/register_reporters_to_bec.php

Some papers have columnists pictures (or drawings) accompany their columns. Anyone else know of those who have reporters' pictures accompany their stories?

2. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

One more thing to clutter up a page, ask the desk to do and possibly get wrong.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought it was standard to run the columnist's mug.

The last artist's drawing serving that purpose that I have seen was on a microfilm reel circa 1959.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No. Disaster waiting to happen. What to do with multiple bylines, team coverage, and when the clerk digs up something out of the morgue?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's now standard practice on Mlive.com with the Booth papers. I do wonder what happens, though, when the wrong mugshot is drawn up.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But that's online, where all they have to do is file the story according to the writer and the info pops up.
    Bigger margin for error in print.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So now readers are going to pay for 2-to-4 stamp-sized photos of people they couldn't care less about on every page???

"Marketing research" be damned -- this is the dumbest print journalism idea I've heard of since the cue-cat!

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Riverside uses reporters' mugs on team notebooks. But not gamers.

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

I agree completely. Who gives a crap what the writer looks like?

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You got that right. I guess I was just trying to say it's beginning to be more common practice with reporters other than columnists, etc.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Photos take up space. Lower labor costs on stupid words".

-- Broadbased Idiocy, circa 2010

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Just another element to possibly screw up and also take away space, however minimal, from copy.

The fewer teasers, refers, rules, dolled-up tricks, mug shots and other crap, the better.

If you want to put all of that on a Web site, do it. Just keep the paper cleaner and with good information, not visual vomit.

Draft saved Draft deleted