1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orange County Register owner to launch daily L.A. newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is quite a move... The most startling thing, however, is that they're doing it without adding any staff, which is absolute craziness.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/angeles-593233-register-county.html

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Why not move the Orange County Register into the Los Angeles market?

3. Rawbot

Rawbot Member

Pretty soon Arte Moreno will start calling it the Los Angeles Register of Orange County.

4. oldfart

oldfart Member

This is from LA Observed:

Register starts looking for staffers who want to move
    By Kevin Roderick | December 13, 2013 3:52 PM

The plans by the Orange County Register to expand north into Los Angeles County was greeted optimistically by at least two groups of local residents: those who assume the Register will put out a better print product than the LA Times, and those journalists who want a newspaper job. I'm not sure either group should invest too much of their energy and hopes into being satisfied. As much as the Times is letting its printed paper just sort of drift, I assume that the staff and resources devoted to LA coverage is still going to swamp the new Los Angeles Register. On the jobs angle, Register owner Aaron Kushner made it pretty clear at Thursday's announcement that the staffing for Los Angeles is going to come from within the recently expanded staff in Orange County. He mentioned hiring 200 people in the past year. On that note, here's the newsroom email that went out last night looking for volunteers to cover Los Angeles:

Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:41 PM

To: Newsroom Assoc_OCR

Subject: LA Register

We are looking for staff for the Los Angeles Register and the weeklies in LA County. If you have an interest in Los Angeles, including government, police, courts, education or breaking news coverage, please send me an email. I'd like links to your five best stories, a resume and a note on what you have to offer our new readers up north.

Rebecca Allen
    Deputy Editor, Features/Business
    Orange County Register

Draft saved Draft deleted