1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orange County Register Ducks beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by tharmonson, Aug 20, 2009.

1. tharmonson

tharmonson New Member

Our stellar Anaheim Ducks beat writer, Dan Wood, is leaving the paper for a great opportunity, so the Orange County Register is in need of a replacement.

We hope to receive permission from above soon to hire a new beat writer, so we are beginning to look for qualified candidates. Once we get the official clearance, we'll post a full job description here and other places. But for now, know that we're looking for someone with:

Extensive beat and deadline-writing experience (preferably on hockey);

A Web-first mentality to break news, blog, appear in video reports and maybe even take the occasional picture for ocregister.com;

Strong feature-writing ability and a desire to look beyond the obvious for the stories Ducks fans really want to read.

We plan to move quickly once we're allowed to hire, so don't hesitate to contact our Ducks editor --- David Bean --- with a resume and a brief bio about your career if you are interested. David's e-mail address is dbean@ocregister.com.

Todd Harmonson
    Orange County Register

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lots of good folks down there.

3. That sounds like an excellent position.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nice to see a major paper hiring. If I had the beat experience I might put up with the occasional shake and give Anaheim a try. Best of luck.

5. phoenixrising08

phoenixrising08 New Member

Is brief bio just a friendly way to say cover letter?

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Actually, I could probably handle the beat-writing part of it, but what would knock me out of the job would be the hockey part. I know enough about hockey to watch it on TV with a fair amount of intelligence, but to cover it on a daily basis? Uh, no. Plus living in SoCal is not my idea of fun. But, no doubt, this is one of the better jobs that have popped up on here in the past few months, and I imagine they'll get a lot of interest.

7. Jeff Wendt

Jeff Wendt New Member

Anyone heard whether they have gotten the OK?

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I believe so. Names of people that I've heard are up for the job are from the outside.

9. thebigd

thebigd Member

Dan Wood is a great guy and a great reporter, having worked several years with him at the Contra Costa Times in Northern California

10. BallsBusted

BallsBusted New Member

I wonder how important they consider hockey experience. I know there are a handful of great beat guys in So Cal who are out of work and would love this, but not all have the hockey background. This could be an interesting search to see who gets it.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Mr. Wood is joining Steve Carroll in the Ducks' radio booth.

12. BallsBusted

BallsBusted New Member

It seems this has been a fairly quiet thread for such a high-profile beat. Anyone have any updates on this one?

Draft saved Draft deleted