1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

oprah's last season...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, May 16, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can happily say I have never watched a complete episode of Oprah -- probably never more than 10 minutes at a sitting.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Does John Tesh wish he had a car?

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I watched Oprah's second-last show today out of curiosity, and came away feeling like I'd just watched a tiny, blasé version of some cheesy awards show. Big name after big name, all bowing down to the great and mighty O.

Then again I guess that's what it should be. Good for her to be so successful - even if these last shows seem over the top.

I'll watch tomorrow only because I have little to do in the hour before my shift starts.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just saw a commercial for Oprah's last show. Clips of the final shows for Walter Cronkite, Johnny Carson, The Cosby Show, Cheers and M*A*S*H aired before the big reveal--that Oprah was joining this esteemed company by leaving tomorrow. Starting to wish the Rapture had actually happened just to steal her thunder.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oprah is probably the biggest of a ton of people with serious TV mileage retiring or moving on in the last year: Regis, Larry King, Mary Hart, Viera, Couric, Charlie Gibson, Brit Hume, Ebersol, Zucker, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

I'm not a hater - you can probably blame the crazed fans on the warm-up guy. And figure 90 percent of the celebs who showed up for the big cavalcade at the United Center were nobodies before she arrived on the scene - so to them, it's like seeing a player you remember watching as a rookie retire. Throw in the careers she helped launch and promote and yeah - I get the appeal.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Any chance Obama is on the show?

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I've never been a big Oprah fan, but I watched todays second-to-last show, the second part of the one filmed at the United Center. Tyler Perry talked about Oprah's contribution to education, and then about 300 men who had been given Oprah scholarships at Morehouse College -- the only all-male historically black college in the U.S. -- filed in. That made me curious, so I did some research and found that Oprah has given more than $12 million to Morehouse since 1989. In turn, those Oprah Scholars (as they're called on the Morehouse website) have pledged to give $300,000 to the school for more scholarships.

Say what you will about her, $12 million is a healthy chunk of change, especially to an HBCU, which are typically struggling for funding.

8. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Oprah already gave her a talk show on OWN.

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Kristen Chenoweth sings "For Good' from Wicked to Oprah-United Center

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Say no more.

Draft saved Draft deleted