1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

oprah's last season...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, May 16, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

her 25-year reign ends may 25. for several weeks, if not months, the show has ended with a varying montage of oprah 'moments.' it's been like the world's longest, most self-serving farewell column. seems as if every show makes reference to her leaving the airwaves (as if she'll never ve on tv again). it's been way more obnoxious than johnny carson's final season was. every celebrity guest is compelled to take their opportunity to pay homage to the queen, speeches that conclude with the oprah hug and kiss.

has it been over the top? am i the only one hating on these kiss-her-ring moments? ??? ??? ???

discuss....

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've been hating on Oprah for the last 20 years or so.

Her show, when it first started, was actually very good. People discussed issues, and problems in life. She copied after Phil Donahue, but it was still a good alternative.

Then she jumped the shark. She started having celebs on every other show, started promoting every little product, did her stupid "Know your Spirit" crap, and it turned into a farce.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Have we gotten shotglass' approval to express our disdain for Oprah? Or no?

Her show airs here after "General Hospital," which my wife watches on DVR every day. There's nothing better than seeing the opening clip to Oprah displaying the number of shows left. Good riddance. Seven to go now, hooray.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just because YOU DIDN'T GET A CAR!!!

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can't stand her TV persona, but she has incredible instincts for delivering what her audience wants. When everyone was doing the cheesy 'Who's The Daddy' and 'I Cheated With Your Brother's Daughter's Transvestite Twin,' shows, she went the other way and got to women who really wanted something positive and helpful. Her guests/experts have been consistently solid. She's annoying as hell, but she's done something right.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

She unleashed Phil McGraw on America and for that alone I hope Steadman Graham outlives her and gets her vast, vast, vast, vast fortune. Vast.

7. dooley_womack1

I've always wondered how much of the ubiquity of the Oprah name is by her bidding, and how much is it the creation of safe P.R. people. Either way, it's undoubtedly successful and she's beloved by millions.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

9. dooley_womack1

If only I were that clever.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

She's rented United Center for the finale?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I work with someone who has one of the Oprah cars. Let me go ask her if she is sick of Oprah.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the Georgia papers did a story on when she went to Macon, I think... to do her "Favorite Things" show.

They invited people who were relatively poor. Then she gave them Ugg boots (Big need for those down south) a refrigerator that most of them couldn't fit in their house, $6 cupcakes and some other absurd shit. The article made her look about as stupid as I've ever seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted