1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oprah gets one right

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Mar 29, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cormac McCarthy's The Road is her new book club selection.
    Blood Meridian is one of my favorite books of all time and No Country For Old Men is in my reading que at home.

I'm not sure her audience is ready for McCarthy

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Not at all. But good selection.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Expound please. I was thinking about getting this but dismissed it as more Oprah fluff. What recommend you?

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Anything by McCarthy, who is a damn strong writer. Tackles subjects most soccer moms couldn't conceive of. That's why this pick, coming from Oprah, is so unconventional.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's very dark and very descriptive in a subtle way. He doesn't just throw adjectives or analogies out to provide depth.

He's the kind of writer that you can just flip into the middle of a book and read a page or two just for the writing, the structure of his paragraphs. When reading his books you'll find yourself reading somethings over for everything besides content. He's so good, you'll become embarrassed to write yourself.
    It's like all your life you think you were hung like a horse, until you actually see a horse.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"It's like all your life you think you were hung like a horse, until you actually see a horse."

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I long for the day when Oprah's book club selection is "Who's Who in Baseball, 2007 Edition," edited by Norm MacLean.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cormac dated my aunt in Knoxville in high school -- and the house he lived in was 2 doors down from the house in which James Agee (writer of "A Death in the Family" for which he won the Pulitzer and "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.") was raised.

That's a pretty impressive Writer's Block!

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I was surprised by the pick, and I think most of Oprah's readers will hate it.

As a die-hard McCarthy fan, I almost hope Oprah's readers don't enjoy it.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Damn it. Now it'll be that much harder to find a copy without that damned "O" on the cover. I will never buy a book with that on it.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bless you, Smasher. Bless you.

Must be tough, editing all those biographies. All that writing. So much to edit.

12. maberger

maberger Member

i think he's our greatest living fiction writer (pynchon? delillo?), and The Road was astonishing. read it in one sitting because it was so compelling -- stayed up till 5 a.m. to do it, although i think the money sentence is on page 4; it may become my favorite sentence in american literature.

wonder if mccarthy will react the same way jonathan franzen did with The Corrections when oprah chose it.

Draft saved Draft deleted