1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opposite sex coaches and athletes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Jan 12, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10015/1028304-361.stm

Solid story, too, but you're right. I really like the art.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nice story, but none of them actually coach their kids. All four coach WPIAL boys teams.

Looking at solely at the art, you'd assume each is coaching their daughters' high school team.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I covered a pretty prominent girls high school volleyball player whose dad was the coach at her school's biggest rival. It was an OK story, probably would have been a lot better in the hands of someone capable, but it's definitely not something you see every day.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I've found as often as not, that men coaching girls/women are as or more productive than women who coach girls/women.
    Basketball and softball are the sports I'm mostly referring to.

5. rondembo

rondembo New Member

I remember that, it was horrible.

6. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Are there any coaches (men or women) that have coached boys and girls during his/her career? That would be an interesting angle to see if the coaching style changed in any way as a result.

In my area there was a guy who went from coaching a boys team to coaching a girls team.

Draft saved Draft deleted