1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opportunity to watch sports games in W. Va

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by giantjay25, Jul 20, 2006.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Look, you don't need to worry about dental in W. Va. Most people don't have teeth. Medical? Isn't the average age in this Appalachian town 43? Won't need to worry about retirement, or much senior health expense. And they're right about plenty of room for growth - this is the bottom of the barrel.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually, buckhannon is a place where you'll meet some of the purely nicest people in the united states. didn't grow up there, didn't live there, but i have visited.

first cousins don't marry and brothers don't fuck their sisters like they do in your hometown, fucktard. just because the ad is pathetic doesn't mean the people are pathetic. ... tell your mother i said hello.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I disagree. One of the bitchiest, most unhappy girls I went to college with was from a "wealthy" family in Buckhannon, W. Va.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

just for the record, 15,000 a year is 7.21 an hour, based on a 40-hour work week.

20,000 is 9.62.

minimum is 5.15

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and did her attitude change after she lost her virginity?

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Anyone who thinks this job gets done in 40 hours per week has never, ever worked at a place this small. No such thing as 40-hour work weeks at these joints.
    Never been to this town, but worked for a very small paper my first year out of college. I wasn't an editor, and was logging 70-plus hours per week, with the ME erasing my time card daily. I was making well below minimum wage when you add it all up, and was eligible for food stamps despite being a fresh college grad. That was 13 months of living hell, but incredibly valuable learning tool, too. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, though.
    This job has all the earmarks of that one.
    By the way, what passes as wealthy in Buckhannon? Someone making 25K that has all their own teeth?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Whatever happened to that good Christian West Virginia man who won the lottery? Jack Whitaker? You know, the one who spent his winnings like a sailor (sober one, too) at strip clubs and gave out money left and right? Maybe you could marry into the family and snag a piece of that pie.

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I agree, but do any parts of this passage read familiar to you, MU? Perhaps a bolded part? Pretty sad. ...

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Hey, that shop won an award once.
    Once.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

News Media Corporation is HQ'd in East Rochelle, Ill.

There are 317 Google hits for East Rochelle, Ill.

All but 69 are for "News Media Corporation."

Talk about a company town.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think he "gave" it out left and right. I think his roll of bills had a habit of disappearing when he head hit the bar. But I believe his kids threw some money around in the community buying drugs and such.

Sounds like a much better TV plot than that crappy Windfall show, though.

12. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Well, he got drugged at a strip club and robbed. They found a friend of his granddaughter OD'd in his house. Then his granddaughter died too. I think she was OD too. Real mess of a situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted