1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opportunity to watch sports games in W. Va

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by giantjay25, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ouch! Hey, for them I'll even mop the floors.

2. JME

JME Member

To where will the candidate have to drive?

3. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Why don't they just say this:

Call all sports fans! Do you love watching a good sports game? The award-winning Record Delta newspaper is cheap as shit, blah, blah, blah. Ideal candidate will be a team player with a lot of enthusiasm and drive and be willing to work for shit. Must possess excellent writing, photography, time management and communication skills and the ability to ignore the fact you're getting screwed money-wise ...

I'm so sick of seeing these jobs out there offering 15-20K. Seems pretty close to the poverty line. How the fuck are people supposed to survive on that kind of money? It's bullshit. I'm sure the publisher and executive editor are making more than enough money yet sportswriters are still getting these crappy offers. Hard to think of other careers near as shitty pay-wise.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Glen.

Ever see a paper post a news job like that?

Do you love watching Court TV? Enjoy hanging around the courthouse? Then put your passion to work for the Podunk Press. We need someone like you to cover courts for us. You'll be there anyway, right? You might own a laptop or be able to borrow one, surely. So we'll save on gas money and you'll have some extra jingle in your pocket to spend on the vending machines during recesses.

Make your passion our windfall! Call editor Stock Option at the Podunk Press to get started now.

5. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

The realistic ad would read thusly:

Do you want to live in Nowhereville? Would you like to make below minimum wage before we're done erasing your time card? How would you like to qualify for food stamps? Need a break from weekends, a nightlife, friends and family?
    We've got the job for you at our once-award-winning 5,000 daily in the gorgeous Florida Everglades. We offer competitive salary to local bag boys at the Piggly Wiggly. Local, local, local is our mantra. Our readers want to read about the Marlins, Dolphins, Hurricanes and Heat, but AP handles that for us. Local is our franchise, and your mission. You get to attend one high school football game per week during the fall, two high school basketball games per week during the winter, are responsible for laying out 6-7 sports sections for 52 weeks, and you'll become the constant source of scorn and ridicule from the publisher, editor, and local sports fans no matter how much time you spend on the job.
    We're looking for someone with the talent to write at the New York Times, the layout skills of a USA Today cover paginator, the photography acumen of a National Geographic shooter, and the computer savvy of a web designer for our newly emerging website.
    You'll be expected to update the site 24 hours per day during the summer with news, notes, and photos from the local Little Leagues throughout the surrounding nine-county area, shoot your own photos, produce 2 bylined stories per day, and design each section.
    While we don't discourage families, single individuals with at least 10 years experience combined on the desk and as a staff writer at a 100,000 daily are preferred. Interested applicants should e-mail editor RipU.Rass@nolife.com
    No phone calls please.

6. JME

JME Member

Some unsuspecting HR person or editor in Buckhannon has a surprise waiting for them if they check out this board. ;D

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Quit making fun, if there's a Wal-Mart close, someone can live on 15K a year. They just have to go on the Ramen Noodle Diet. Ramen noodles for breakfast, Ramen noodles for Lunch and Ramen noodles for dinner. Wal-Mart sells then 10-for-buck!

8. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I don't think anyone is making fun of someone who makes $15K. I think they are upset that a company only feels the need to pay $15K for this job, which is ridiculous.

If you are working for $15K to get your foot in this business, god bless you and I hope you get another job really fast. I never had to hit that low to start, but I certainly know about seriously pinching pennies and worrying about using too much heat in the winter.

Anyway, I sure hope this job's pay is closer to $20K, which is still ridiculous.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Fucking brilliant.

Be careful, though. I'm sure we'll see a job ad just like this run early next week.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That was awesome.

11. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

I remember making 17K, which was an hourly paycut from my previous part-time gig, but hey, I added crappy benefits! When I moved from Podunk to Mid-size city, I more than doubled my salary.

Grand total of savings from 25 months in Podunk - $857 after beer, rent, food, beer, gas, insurance, beer, "nightlife," utilities and beer.

I did get my foot in the door of a full-time spot. Loved it, but would never do it again.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

I was not saying you were making fun of the people who would take the job, but the A-holes who will only pay that much. I know about those A-holes myself, I started out at a weekly with 942 paid subscribers, I made $40 per day. No kidding, I wanted to get my foot in the door, so I was happy to take it, but it's wrong for someone to pay that little, even to let someone fresh out of school learn the ropes! I was being a smartass toward the people who offer the money, not the poor souls who would accept this job.

Draft saved Draft deleted