1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opportunity Cost

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by musicman, Mar 17, 2007.

1. musicman

musicman Member

I want to kick my own ass for writing this, but does anyone else have occasional pangs of regret for working in an industry that pays (comparatively) so little? I enjoy where I am now and room for future growth exists, but sometimes I feel like there's a lot left on the table money-wise even though you're being true to yourself. I'd like to use the other side of my brain to make some jack on the side, too. Still searching for that perfect part-time opportunity...and would appreciate any experiences you may have had outside the industry.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, no. Never. Not once.

3. musicman

musicman Member

Still new, but blue is sarcasm, eh?

Maybe I should just accept the fact that "it is what it is" (hoping the next time I hear this will also the be the last) but I'm having a hard time doing so. "At the end of the day," (see parenthetical reference above) don't moments in a lifetime matter more than millions?

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

A thread similar to this pops up occasionally. J-schools and the like can prepare students well for writing/interviewing, etc...but it fails to let students fully comprehend that journalism is not a well-paying field. And even though we warn people, it usually takes the reality of the business for people to understand that.

I have done radio shows, been able to offer 'expert insight' etc, and always look for freelance writing opps. There are very few high-paying newspaper jobs in the world, create your own opportunities.

5. fishwrapper

There are very few high-paying jobs. And, when you do find one, they are at big metros where the cost of living is so high it tends to be a wash, anyhow.
    I do have this to say. I have many friends that hate their job. Despise going to work. I don't.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I second that. I really enjoy what I do and sometimes it's loads of fun.

7. sartrean

sartrean Member

Uncle Happy Pants, speak for yourself. Not everyone has to have better everything just because they can afford it.

Shit, I just want enough money to pay all my student loans, my house note, my car note and have a little left over each month to save. Oh yeah, and it'd be nice to afford medical/dental, etc.

8. I removed my previous two posts for being too cynical, even for me :) I went back and read them and realized they were not getting across what I wanted to get across.

Please carry on :)

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

musicman - do not give in to "vow of poverty" bullshit. it's a copout.
    if you can report and write you can create.
    if you can create you can make money. there is a huge insatiable market for creativity.

do not limit yourself by your daily job description.
    find a window of oppportunity - create something - and get it to market.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Henry is spot on.

If I'm fortunate, I should have an opportunity to be a proposal writer for a corporation in the next few weeks. The job will have the same type of duties as a reporter -- interview people, research facts, write based on what I discover. The only difference will be in the pay.

There is a market out there for talented people, but you sometimes need to look away from journalism to find the reward.

11. fishwrapper

Yeah. One problem. I'm a journalist.
    If I didn't want to be a journalist, I could have found many things to do.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm a journalist too -- though it's strictly as an on-the-side thing now.

If you enjoy what you do and you're keeping the family checkbook in the right color, then you're doing great.

BTW, not every big metro comes with a high cost of living.

Draft saved Draft deleted