1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opponents refuse to play HS football powerhouse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The AAU all-star teams shouldn't be playing high school basketball.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I see the opposite in northwest Ohio. One of the two small Catholic schools in our coverage area started the year with 19 players and is down to 13 this week due to injuries (two torn ACLs and some concussions).
    One of their opponents asked them to play an eight-man game a couple weeks ago because THAT team was depleted due to injuries. The state association gave its OK to play it that way.
    This week, that same Catholic school is playing our other area Catholic school in an eight-man game, also with the state association's approval. The game will go down as an open date for the second Catholic team, so it won't really affect the playoff computer points. I think the only reason this week's game is being played at all is because it's homecoming for the second, bigger Catholic school.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe BC should start forfeiting conference games.

wicked likes this.
  4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

The area I'm in has a conference with 17 schools split into 2 divisions . Of that group there are 3 schools that dominate. The other 14
    schools do not have chance. Games are not even competitive. The 3 top schools happen to be the most affluent. From 3rd grade on most kids
    are playing and parents are pouring thousands into development and equipment. One of the top schools just put down a new $500,000 field and erected a $150,000 digital scoreboard. The divide is so huge that the games are no longer fun for anyone. Games are over in 1st quarter.What I've noticed is that less and less kids are participating from the bad programs. Teams are showing up with 17 - 18 players when the top teams roll out 90. Its more ominous if you look at the Freshman team numbers. Some schools can't even field teams and others are showing up with 15 kids.
    If the trend continues the top schools are going to have no one to play

I Should Coco, jr/shotglass and Ace like this.
  5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Team from my coverage area had 19 players in uniform. Lost the starting QB while on a play on the PAT block unit in the second quarter, then went on to win by a point, knocking a previously unbeaten team. Funny little game, this football.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One league in the Monterey Bay area is set up European soccer-style. Upper and lower divisions, lower division champ gets promoted next season, last place team in upper division is relegated. Done across all sports, so you could be upper division in football and lower division in water polo, for example.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think this is an excellent idea. My sons went to high school in Fairfax County, Virginia, which had about 20 schools. My sons went to Marshall, which was the school T.C. Williams beat in "Remember the Titans", but was a doormat when they were there. Enrollment had declined so that it was about the smallest school in the County. There were also a lot of Asian, Iranian and Guatemalan kids. These kids tended to be smaller and not go out for football. In addition while the district did not allow you to transfer out of the attendance zone for athletics you could transfer if the school in your district did not have the academic program you were interested in. So, for example, if you were a good football player you would develop an interest in IT and transfer to a technology magnet with a good football team. Once you were there you could stay even if you decided not to pursue the technology track. So the good players tended to filter out. And the the football team was getting crushed.

The problem with doing this entirely based upon school size is that it ignores other factors. Schools in affluent neighborhoods tend to have really good tennis teams while lower income schools will not.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I like this idea, but unfortunately the only place it will be accepted is where it's been in place for a while. High school is about the only place left where it's desirable to drop in class and be more competitive without losing prestige.

The CIF is so nuts. Every section has its own rules and structure. It's like 10 states in one.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

UVA is off this week, but I'm counting this post as a win for them anyway.

@LanceyHoward, one of my best friends is the new soccer coach at TC.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have in this forum previously advocated UVA drop football. The athletic program loses about 15 million a year. Enrollment at UVA is around 15,000 so the athletic subsidy is about $1.000 a student. So I have paid eight academic years of additional student fees for my two sons or $8,000 in part to support that dreck.

Most Marshall supporters, myself included, have not forgiven the Alexandria district for consolidating thier schools for the sole reason of beating Marshall.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He would have sacked Bradshaw before he could have gotten off the Immaculate Reception pass. Chuck Noll would have been fired, and the dynasty would never have happened.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just watch. BC will scare the shit out of Clemson

Draft saved Draft deleted