1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinions, please

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ballparkman, Feb 10, 2007.

1. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

It seems like more and more lately I see basketball stories that refer to a tied score as just one number, as in "team A hit a 3-pointer to tie it at 55".

I am aware that it is redundant to say that a team tied the score at 55-55, but it seems to me that presenting a score as just one number doesn't represent the score. Also, one could just write "team A hit a 3-pointer to make it 55-55" and not mention the tie.

I've tried to find this in the AP style book and can't. I know it's a nit-picking thing, but I'm just curious what the masses think.

Maybe I'm too old school, but I prefer a score to look like a score. Am I wrong? Or is this just a personal preference thing?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I'd say it's just a style thing. They both work, both get the point across.

I prefer to say tied at 55 but it really doesn't matter. What I would suggest is that it's good to be consistent.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm fine with tied at 55. It's more conversational, I think. If you walk into a room where somebody is watching a basetball game and ask the score, I think they're more liable to say "tied at 55" than "55-55.''

4. PressBoxJunky

PressBoxJunky New Member

It's kind of a personal, nit-picky type of thing. I always like to use "hit a three-pointer to make it a 55-55 game" ... or "sunk both free throws to draw even at 46-46 with 3:32 to play ... "

Still, there is a paper I string hockey for that wants it "scored at 12:32 to tie the game at three ... " Wierd.

5. There are probably much bigger issues out there, however, I think the conversational point is correct. Tied at 55 is exactly that, conversational and more importantly tied at 55-55 is redundant. However simply stating that a free throw brought the score to 55-55 is probably more professional at least in an old school sense. I think I would be more concerned if a "Tostitos" free throw or a "Chico's bail bonds" three-pointer tied the game at 55.

Now that's an issue and don't think this problem isn't on the horizon.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

That's wordy. Go with "hit a 3-pointer to make it 55-55" instead.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Some of the desk people I work with insist on "tied at 55" being correct, to the extent that they change "55-55" to that.

I'm with ballparkman. I want a full score. "Tied at 55" doesn't do it for me.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I prefer tied at 55.

9. PressBoxJunky

PressBoxJunky New Member

A lot of good points. And now that I look closer, awriter is correct in that "55-55 game" is a bit wordy. Wow, I learned something on SportsJournalists.com!!!! Who'duve thunk it!

10. Montezuma's Revenge

While you're soliciting opinions ...

1. Murder is bad.
    2. Poverty is a bummer.
    3. It would sure be nice if we could all just get along.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

You say. And I say tied at 55 is fine.

And more concise.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I prefer tied at 55 myself, but not enough to change a reporter's copy if it said 55-55.

Draft saved Draft deleted