1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opie and Anthony's spring vacation from XM

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, May 15, 2007.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They had a top standup on almost every day, and that's in addition to Jim Norton, who is one of the best comics working.

They consistently had better comics on than Stern, who always seemed to have a few favorites, but got away from that in recent years.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Owned.

3. RecoveringJournalist

How does this compare with the Imus situation from a few years ago?

Imus made his mistake on the air, even if he was just repeating something someone else said. I don't see this getting the traction that it did with Imus, but I think that is more because of the politicians and sponsors who were associated with Imus than what was actually said.

What Cumia did was far worse, but it wasn't on the air. It also seems hard to imagine him getting another deal as quickly as Imus did.

I get the sense Sirius/XM was looking for a reason to get rid of Opie and Anthony and Cumia made their decision very easy.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In this day and age, Twitter = on air.

5. RecoveringJournalist

Not sure I'd go that far, but I do get the notion that when it comes to social media, you're always on the clock and you're always representing your employer.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Rich Vos, Bobby Kelly, Ricky Gervais, and Pete Rose were all in studio with Opie and Jimmy today. Epic. Here is a clip of the show where they were all in studio together:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn-mOoYjHI8

7. RecoveringJournalist

I think they're still under contract until October. It will be interesting to see what happens after that.

I think Stern's deal is up soon as well. I would be curious what kind of a hit Sirius/XM would take if they lost both of them.

8. RecoveringJournalist

"This was a threesome, but now the girl just left the room to vomit." - Jim Norton

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted