1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opie and Anthony's spring vacation from XM

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, May 15, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

What's amusing about people having sex in public places as an organized contest? It wasn't just in churches, remember, it was a contest called "Sex for Sam" that encouraged people to do so as a way to earn points.

Free speech has nothing to do with this, and you're welcome to find them enjoyable if you want. I'm not calling for their banning, I just think they're hacks who are really good at offending but do a much poorer job of entertaining. I work in radio and I'm still trying to figure out how Janet Jackson's boob getting flashed on TV meant they needed to crack down on FM morning shows.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

The FCC saw an in, and they ran the bulldozer through it.

3. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Heard excerpts of what was said on the news....Just absolutely stupid and very inappropriate. These two were on Letterman a month or so ago, and like Fenian, I wondered how they got radio jobs when they were more suited to flipping burgers or pumping gas. But these days, these two are what passes for talent in AM or A. M. radio.

They are both idiots, and their bosses are bigger idiots for letting them condone the Condi/Laura bit.

4. I think they are funny. That's what is great about comedy ... the same thing some people find hilarious can be disliked by others. The problem is when people - ones who don't listen to a show or watch a show on TV - butt in and demand that such entertainment not be allowed.

I don't like those types of people.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Do you think it's OK to advocate on the air for the rape of a top foreign diplomat, a head of state and the first lady? I'm interested in hearing your answer.

6. Wicked ... the humor came in how absurd the comment was. The homeless guy had a personality that's hard to explain but after I listened to that show i texted a friend saying "that guy was hilarious." my friend replied "I know, he was great."

do i celebrate rape? of course not. do i laugh at disgusting jokes? of course I do. Every day.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Looking at a few message boards, you can call XM, threaten to cancel over their suspension, and talk them into a few free months of XM service.
    Worth a shot

:)

8. In the context of a crazy homeless guy who is so obviously trying to be funny? It's meaningless. No one was actually advocating anything.

By the way, why is suggesting something like that about the secretary of state or the Queen of England worse? If anything, it's so much more improbable as to be completely unrealistically absurd. If the guy said he wanted to rape women on the street, there's a chance he could actually go do it. Much less funny at that point.

The original blog entry that got it started was an example of shitty reporting since it claimed the homeless guy was a scripted character instead of an actual dude off the street.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

If you don't like their brand of humor, aka "cringe humor," turn off the radio or tune to a different station.

10. fans striking back http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-shockradio17may17,0,5876487.story?coll=la-home-business

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wasn't trying to say it was worse. I just wanted to read your view, that's all.

12. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Just further proof that stupidity sells, and that no one seems to care.

Draft saved Draft deleted