1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opie and Anthony's spring vacation from XM

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, May 15, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

This is all you need to know about Opie and Anthony:

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

wow! he stepped on a cake! What hilarity! What Genius! What highbrow material!

What a couple of slaps.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've given these two jokers about 80 seconds of my time in my year of XM. Shock jocks defined.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The stunt that got them fired from terrestrial radio the first time wasn't even funny....

Hey, let's have a contest for people to have sex in public places to win prizes! HOHOHO, two of them are at a Catholic church - let's get some play by play!

What's amusing about that scenario in the first place? Another time they announced the mayor of Boston was dead in a car crash as an April Fool's joke - again, what's supposed to be funny? I don't mind "shock" humor executed well, but these guys are just not good at anything other than being as base and coarse as possible.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

and for every one of those clips, there are many more of these... interviews with entertainers.
    Here's one with former WWE wrestler Chyna.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

No worries. The reason behind the action taken is what is of interest to me.

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

It's gotten to the point where it's nothing more than a radio witch-hunt. You can't do or say anything anymore and it's pretty freakin' ridiculous. Big brother, or Al Sharpton, is always watching.

If not for the Imus situation (a complete mess), O&A would not have been given a second thought. No suspension. Nothing. That said, I can't believe CBS didn't suspend them as well.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Actually, the Boston/Tom Menino bit resulted in their first firing. Immediately thereafter, they landed at WNEW.

And according to the wire story, they were suspended for defending the bit, not the bit itself.

Nice to see Saint Don of Free Speech now canonized.

9. That's fine that you feel that way. That's why they were perfect as a subscription service, so people who don't want to support it can vote with their wallets. Seems like most people offended by this incident didn't even hear it in the first place. There's something wrong about so many people sticking their sense of propriety into other people's lives.

While I wouldn't argue that any of their incidents (like the church one or this one) are meant to be political satire in any form -- they resemble genuine satire enough that they should be tolerated in the name of free speech.

Personally, I have so little respect for the Catholic Church, that I found the original stunt amusing. Sure, the people in question should have been prosecuted for tresspassing, etc., but that's a different issue.

10. O&A used to be must-listen radio back in the day, but since the XM move and the split between terrestrial and satellite every day, it's not as strong. Dumb comments condoned on their part and they'll pay.
    That said, Jim Norton, their third guy in is brilliant, hilarious and yes crude. But he's as quick a wit as you can find in a comic. When he's on, he's the best.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think they suck. I listened the first day they were on, when it was offered for free, however long ago that was.

They were talking about no restrictions on satellite and they required every caller to include the C word (banned here) as part of the question or comment.
    That didn't get them suspended.

Weak, weak, weak Stern wannabes.

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I agree with your assement of their talent. However I am very concerned with their suspension. I don't think we should be told what is and is not funny. They are on pay radio correct? It seems to me that this issue is much bigger than these two yahoos. It seems like the goverment is pressuring the powers that be to do what they want done. That scares me.

Draft saved Draft deleted