1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening in West Virginia

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, I was born there. And half my family still lives there. So I don't appreciate wide, sweeping jokes about the whole state. Unless you want another person around here who doesn't like you.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Didn't know that. My sister actually went to camp in West Virginia for a couple years. The scenery is great, but there is not much around there to see.

3. I love the "one of my friends is ... " defense. Does that work for jokes about blacks, fat people, homosexuals, transgender sportswriters, et cetera on here?

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I wouldn't say so, and I don't believe it works for the "joke" I made on West Virginia. I have been there a few times, spent some time in the area, and I do know people from there. My friend generally has a tolerance for jokes on his home state because he hears them so many times. Stereotypes exist with all states and all people in those states. People can rip on Delaware and I really don't care if they do. I guess different states hear a lot of the jokes, a lot of the time.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Jokes aside, toothpaste will be a luxury on that salary.

6. Zak Brown

Zak Brown New Member

The salary is small, but the cost of living is low there. The college is decent. Actually have a T-shirt from the basketball team. Sedale Threat came out of that conference, I think. And the West Virginia jokes do get old. I sympathize with the good doctor, although the Mountaineers could thump most other state's schools in football. Steve Slaton for Heisman.

7. ArmanTamzarian

ArmanTamzarian New Member

$15,000 will buy a lot of pepperoni rolls. Mmm...

8. Yeah... if you find the generic brand ... no Totino's on that budget.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

W. Va. jokes are about as fresh and original as Kentucky jokes Doc.

And 15-20K, I'm there. I haven't used pagemaker in about 12 years, so I just need a refresher course.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

$15,000?

I could make more off state assistance (yes, euphemism for welfare) by sitting at home with my child. Food stamps and then a check every two weeks. I could make it work. I hate this profession. We should all email the publisher and tell him to **** off.

Or, maybe it was a typo and it is really $150,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I imagine they are looking for someone who graduated the 8th grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted