1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening in Knoxville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Their gameday sections were pretty amazing. It was a bit homerish, but that had more to do with cartoons they ran and gamecards that were there than anything the staff wrote.

I would say that of the hometown papers in the SEC, it was close between Knoxville and The State for best football coverage.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wish somehow they could bring back the Dyergram (artist is dead, but as I kid I would just be mesmerized every Sunday morning).

http://olive.knoxnews.com/olive/ODE/Knoxville/server/GetContent.asp?contentsrc=primitive&dochref=KNS%2F2008%2F09%2F28&entityid=Pc03602&pageno=36&chunkid=Pc03602&repformat=1.0&primid=Pc0360200&imgext=jpg&type=Content&for=primitive

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

That's the craziest infographic I've ever seen.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I am a UNC grad and I criticized my alma mater in column when Butch Davis got an extension with a big raise after going 4-8 in his first season. Got some hate mail from one Tar Heel fan who accused me of being anti-Carolina, which kind of made me chuckle. I wrote him back, pointed out my alumni status and told him I reserved the right to criticize my university if I felt it made a bad decision.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And I just shake my head in disgust when I see what papers try to pass off as a "drive chart" for big games today.

Dyergrams gave you every play, every penalty, every punt, every fumble and told you who made key plays. And did it with personality (and a little homerism, too).

But I guess they're just not practical in a sports era with so many night games. But stuff like that is why I dreamed of working at newspapers as a kid. Imagine, being at a place where that cool stuff is produced.

Today, we're trained monkeys sourcing up modules from Chicago.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

This one is down to the final 3.

7. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

After a search that started in mid-July, I'm happy to announce that Andrew Gribble, who covers Auburn for the Opelika-Auburn News, will join the staff of the News Sentinel at the end of the month.
    He will be covering Tennessee football and recruiting.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Opelika-Auburn News opening to be posted in 5, 4, 3 .....

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nice to see the original source coming back here to say who the hire is to wrap it up. Be nice if many more did that.

10. Andrew Gribble

Andrew Gribble New Member

My position at the Opelika-Auburn News will be filled from within the sports department. David Morrison, who has been doing one hell of a job on the preps beat, will take over the Auburn beat. Morrison's spot will be filled by another staff member, Stuart Lieberman, whose position will not be replaced.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lieberman has some big shoes to fill... the guy who is in charge of football for the state sports writers association is a demanding prick...
    As for the Auburn beat, Morrison can't carry Gribble's jock :)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And I'll bet neither Gribble nor Morrison while whine about working on scheduled days off because they know it's part of the job...

Draft saved Draft deleted