1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening in Knoxville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

I hope to post the job description and other details Monday, but I wanted to alert folks that I have opening for a reporter at the News Sentinel in Knoxville.
    The job would cover recruiting and help with football beat at UT.
    Here's what I'm looking for:
    Strong writing and reporting skills.
    Multimedia skills for radio, television and online.
    Social media skills.
    And because it's UT: how to file FOI requests, get police reports and cover the courts.
    I hope to fill the position by the end of August.
    Please no phone calls.
    I'm accepting resumes and clips.
    The e-mail address is kaplan@knews.com
    Snail mail is 2332 News Sentinel Drive, Knoxville, TN 37921

Phil Kaplan
    Sports editor
    Knoxville News Sentinel

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Phil is good people. This sounds like he's looking for all purpose journalist but I'm sure he'll fill in the blanks.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"And because it's UT: how to file FOI requests, get police reports and cover the courts."

Awesome.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

... and very, very true.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Phil's not just good people ... he's one of the best.

6. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

I couldn't do it. As a long time UT fan, I would cry if I knew everything going on in my school's life.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't care that much about any team to not want to cover one due to hero worship.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was always very impressed with the Knoxville paper. I haven't seen in it several years, but when I did, it was one of the best of its size.

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

This is Dave Hooker's old job. Hooker is leaving for a radio job in town.

And I echo what Mizzou said. This is a very solid paper. Relatively new building near downtown. You can see it looming very prominently from the interstate. Lots of good people to work with in sports, from Phil to John Adams, Mike Griffith, Dan Fleser, Austin Ward and Tennessee Sports Writer of the Year Mike Strange.

They have a radio show in town (The Sports Page, I think) where most of their sports staff participates, and you'll have chances to participate in the Sunday morning TV show where they discuss the UT football games if you get this job. It really is a multimedia operation, so it's great for somebody wanting to dabble in a lot of different areas.

10. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

When I was in school at Jax State it was just as bad. I could see what was going on in the football program and it was bad. Hated to cover the bad things because it would kill relationships. Plus I loved our players, but they were blloming idiots (hence why the Cocks didn't make the playoffs this year due to APR)

11. writingump

writingump Member

Good luck to Dave because he's going to need it, going up against Jimmy Hyams' and John Wilkerson's afternoon drive time show. Jimmy and John run a very good show and Dave will have to do something special to cut into their listener base. Whoever gets Dave's old job will have plenty of opportunities between recruiting, football and football arrests.

12. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Blah Blah Blah with the arrests. Don't worry, guys. In two years, the UT program will be clean and free. (i.e. Alabama)

Draft saved Draft deleted