1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening in Knoxvile

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

The News Sentinel in Knoxville, Tenn., will have opening on its sports staff starting the first week of July. The position will include general assignment writing (high schools, area colleges, ABA basketball) and some desk responsibilities (agate). The job has not been posted. You can pm if you have questions.
    E-mail resumes to kaplan@knews.com.

Phil Kaplan
    Deputy sports editor
    Knoxville News Sentinel

2. Pocket Aces

Pocket Aces Guest

Knoxville is a nice city. I was there for a week a few years ago and while the paper didn't blow me away, I thought it was a nice sports section for the town.

3. I interviewed there awhile ago and was offered a job there and was pretty impressed by the paper, its staff and its leadership. Knoxville is a nice little town, depending on where you are coming from and they have a nice, newer building. Phil is a hard worker and it shows in the product. All-in-all, this would likely be a good career move.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Anyone who's known me for, oh about half a nanosecond, knows that I hate the University of Tennessee and Knoxville in general with a pure, holy hate.

That's why you should be mildly impressed when I say that this is an outstanding section for its size (and pretty darn good even against the big boys). Of all the SEC town newspapers, they probably do the best job tracking the conference as a whole.

Now excuse me while I go bathe with lye soap.

5. Sporty_Harvey

Sporty_Harvey New Member

I'll echo proudpittsburgher's thoughts: Was impressed with the staff and the overall management during my brief visit. Especially Phil. But I wasn't a big fan of the town.

6. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Knoxville job

I posted the job opening to get a head start in the job search. Response was tremendous. Lots of great young talent.
    After returning from APSE in Las Vegas, I was told by the executive sports editor that the open position would be downgraded to a clerk. We plan on giving the job to a recent college grad that has been working part-time for us the past two years. He's already trained for the prep Web site that has become a monster. The salary is not attractive and it will not involve writing.
    I believe I have contacted those interested in the position that sent e-mails. There are some I may have missed. Thanks again for the interest.

Phil Kaplan
    Deputy sports editor
    Knoxville News Sentinel

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Re: Knoxville job

I wonder if this sign-of-the-times transaction had anything to do with the rant that was posted here recently.

8. JME

JME Member

Which rant was that?

9. Pops

Pops Member

The 15 or so F-bombs in it got it removed pretty quickly. Slightly entertaining in a rather morbid way though.

10. JME

JME Member

Help me out a bit.

11. Pops

Pops Member

check the bottom of the Buccaneers thread right now for a much shorter, much cleaner version with the same general message.

12. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Opening in Knoxvile (again)

I'm back again.
    Because management decided to debate when the position would be filled, I have lost the person we had promised the job to. He has accepted a position in Sebring, Fla. Great for him because he's a recent college grad, but bad for me since it's almost August.
    I'm looking for an individual (recent college grads or part-timers included) to fill a fulltime clerk position that does not include writing. That could change at a later time, but I can't make promises.
    If you are interested in working at a 114,000 circulation daily and 152,000 Sunday, this is a great opportunity.

Phil Kaplan
    Deputy sports editor
    Knoxville News Sentinel
    kaplan@knews.com

Draft saved Draft deleted