1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening in Killeen, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hackwilson191, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

I am looking for a copy editor or a reporter to fill a soon-to-be open position in my department. The Killeen Daily Herald is a seven-day, 20k-circulation paper that covers 12 high schools, a D-III university (UMHB) and some Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M football.

I will be looking for the best hire, even if it takes me a month to find you. The hire likely will not start until September.

Right now I am looking at this one of two ways -- I can either get a solid designer or I can hire another writer. The writer would cover three 5A high schools, Killeen, Shoemaker and Temple) and also have the option to cover a few Divison-I games. This position mostly covered Texas A&M last year.

We take a pretty hands on and creative approach to our coverage and will be looking for an organized individual who can think outside the box. Last year, we won two APSE top-5 section awards and this open position and another writer took Top-10 in beat writing.

If you are interested send your resumes and five or more clips to kdhtalbot@gmail.com. Don't kill yourself with a cover letter, I'd rather take time to read the clips.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Posted today on Journalism Jobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1520323

3. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

You can still send stuff to my email as well as personnel if you want. We are looking to move on this quickly now.

4. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

Is it safe to assume those who applied for the first round are out of the running?

5. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

I have not ruled anyone out, yet. They just posted it on JJobs. I actually had a second opening come open. Only one other movement in 4 years and now I two guys left within a week of each other leaving (one has been here nearly 7 years, the other 4). That's just how it works sometimes I suppose. But, I wanted to broaden the pool and make sure I get great hires since I now have 2 openings. We have done some initial in-state interviews, but have not hired for either position, yet.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just saw an opening for a sports editor position in Killeen. Changes?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Nick Talbot is going to Jackson to be a producer, opening up the SE job in Killeen.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

So I believe that's three openings at a 20K staff that probably doesn't have many more people than that.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sometimes, that can be for the best. Start afresh without a lot of "well, this is how we used to do it" talk.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Unless they've changed this leaves them with one staff writer, who despite being the newest member of the staff, probably is qualified to take over as sports editor if they opt to go that way. And I think there is also a dedicated desk guy there, who also used to be the sports editor.
    With football starting a week from today, I imagine all three of these will be filled quicky.

11. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

This is all correct, except the staff writer has chosen not to take over the role of SE.

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I guess that's why a sports editor opening was posted today.

Draft saved Draft deleted