1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening in Killeen, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hackwilson191, Dec 16, 2011.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This sounds like a solid place, and these sound like good job possibilities.

My thought, upon reading the original poster's second post, however: This is the first time I have ever heard a hiring editor refer to a cover letter, in public, as "that crap."

It makes me think you've never read or written a really good cover letter.

And if you wouldn't read a cover letter, which, if it is strong, personal and well-written, can often tell you a lot about a prospective hire, and give you a feel for whether you might be interested in them, why should I think you'd wade through a pile of clips very well?

2. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

Alright, seeing as the usual suspects haven't weighed in on this one yet, I feel compelled to voice concerns about Killeen. I won't say anything myself (as I haven't worked there), but the publication has definitely had a reputation. Not saying that things are the same as they were a year ago, but ... well, judge for yourself. Buyer beware.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/71646/

3. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Sorry, I am just not a fan of cover letters. I feel I can learn a lot more about a person and if they are qualified from a Google search, a resume and by spending my time really reading their clips than I can with a cover letter. If I like what I see there, I try to do as many interviews as possible -- even if it's over the phone. I personally talked to 10-15 candidates last time I did a search (2 1/2 years ago) and I certainly found the right person in Angel Verdejo, who is now moving onto the Houston Chronicle.

And, yes, I have printed out everyone's clips and will read them all, at least the first two from each candidate. If I like the first two, I will probably read five or more and then go from there and already have with some candidates. Nothing is more important than hiring the right person for a job when it comes to management. Finding the correct staff that can not only do the job but mesh well with each is imperative in order to create a solid working environment.

I just don't think I learn a lot from a cover letter that I can't learn in other ways these days -- social media, Google and references -- and would rather concentrate on reading the clips and then move on to talking to the people whose writing I enjoy. Also, a person can write a great cover letter, but sometimes can't write a gamer to save their life. I'd rather have a person who can write the gamer, the feature and the enterprise piece.

But, we each have our own way. So, if you like cover letters, go for it. But, I don't want prospective candidates wasting their time on a cover letter when I won't weigh it heavily in my decision and made an off-the-cuff joke to relay that.

4. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

My response to that is that July 2009 was 2 1/2 years ago, not "a year". That was before I really even took over the department (it was my third month there). And yes the paper still has issues, but the sports section -- I can guarantee you -- has turned the corner as evidenced by the APSE's we have won in the past two years and also by the fact we have not had a single person leave the department (until now and he is taking a huge step up) since I made that hire.

If anyone has concerns, though, please feel free to e-mail me or PM me here and I will gladly discuss any of them. But, I would appreciate if it is not done on the public board.

Thanks.

5. AVerdejo

AVerdejo New Member

I normally don't post on message boards, but then again, I've never had my name posted on one either.

Just wanted to weigh in a little on the opening. Like most jobs - and everyone will agree - there are good days and bad days. I remember reading all the threads about the paper in Killeen before applying in 2009 and even asking everyone there for as much truth as they would give when I interviewed. There's some truth to what's been posted in the past, but obviously not 100 percent.

I also see it a little different because I'm from Killeen...grew up a military kid and Fort Hood/Killeen is my home. I grew up with the paper and it worked for me in keeping up with all the sports I needed. I kept up with it when I first moved away and my parents subscribe to this day.

There hasn't been any turnover since I got there in Aug. 2009. The news side for example, has turned over at least three times during that same frame. That was a big deal before - I remember seeing a different name every year in the football preview growing up.

The sports staff is made up of good guys that love what they do and try to make it better each day. We fit well together with our strengths and weaknesses, and played off each other for the good of the section. For that, I'm hoping the next guy can fit in the same - have to make sure the product is still good enough for my mom to read each morning.

There are struggles. There are days when I want to punch everyone in the building. There are days when you wonder if it can get any worse, only to see it actually get worse. But who hasn't felt like that at any job you've had? I've worked at other papers and had those days...honestly, I'm still shocked that I don't drink after being a sports reporter for this long.

The sports are decent and with military kids, there's never a shortage of stories that involve hardships, up-and-down emotions and all that jazz. I lived all that so I know - I just lucked out that I was young when my dad left for Desert Storm and not playing ball yet.

This is already too long, so I'll leave it here. If anyone has any questions or wants to know anything about the opening, area or paper, feel free to contact me. I hate leaving - going to miss mom's cooking - but I can't pass up this opportunity.

Angel Verdejo
    angel_verdejo276@hotmail.com

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I want to thank Hack and Angel for their openness and willingness to respond to the criticism of the past. This kind of feedback is why the Jobs board here is much better than Journalism Jobs.

7. esport12

esport12 Member

As the last person who left Killeen before Angel (and actually made it to a mid-size daily), I'll vouch for Nick and the rest of the staff. Nick has really turned that paper around and all of the other writers have bought into it. They really do some cool stuff. They push the envelope. They work as hard as anyone. I'd put their sports section up against most small dailies across the country.

Now, the rest of the newsroom and upper management, that's a different story. But Nick does a really good job of shielding that and making the best out of the situation. He won't cover up the BS -- he'll level with you, which I always like -- and find a way to work around it all. I remember trying to sneak in an extra vacation day to be with family and Nick somehow worked it out. Not everyone in this biz does that. (He also recently had someone call me for a radio interview because he thought I would be the best person. I thought that was super cool, even though I left the shop almost three years ago. Shows a lot of respect and that he still appreciates the work I did.)

Now, Killeen isn't the coolest town in the world, but there's some decent food stops and bar. It's also just 50 minutes from Austin and 2 1/2 hours to either San Antonio or Dallas. Plus, you'll be working with some good guys who will make you laugh.

So if you're a young journalist who wants to build some chops and grow, this is a great place. Hey, it worked for me.

8. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

SE Nick Talbot is good people, and he's done an excellent job here. One of the best small papers around. And they've proven they can give writers the resources to get on to the next level. Great starter job for somebody in my opinion.

9. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I don't know anything about this gig, but I've taken jobs that were completely trashed on this board that turned out to be decent places.

10. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

Just noticed Killeen has an ad up for copy editor / page designer on JournalismJobs.com. I guess they decided to go the other direction.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If anybody wants to know anything about these positions, feel free to PM me.

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

For what it's worth, I was offered a job here 4 years ago, unseen, in news side at $28,000. I did not take the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted