1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening in Killeen, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hackwilson191, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

I am looking for either sports copy editor or a reporter to fill an open position within my department. The Killeen Daily Herald is a seven-day, 20k-circulation paper that covers 10 high schools, a D-III university and Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M football.

The position isn't posted, yet, because they want to wait until after the holidays. However, Angel Verdejo has left us to cover high schools at the Houston Chronicle and his last day is Dec. 30. This is our first sports departure in 2 1/2 years -- the last time it was Evan Mohl who left and he is now at El Paso. I will be looking for the best hire, even if it takes me a couple of months to find you. Ideally, I want someone with a little bit of experience, but doesn't everyone?

Right now we are looking at this one of two ways -- I can either get a solid designer and move him or her into a universal desk (but they would still do mostly sports). Or I can hire another writer. The writer would cover three high schools (Copperas Cove -- home of Heisman winner Robert Griffin III, Gatesville and Lampasas) and the D-III university (Mary Hardin-Baylor -- a top-10 program) and also have the option to cover a few D-I games.

We take a pretty hands on and creative approach to our coverage and will be looking for an organized individual who can think WAY outside the box. In the last two years, we have won three APSE top-10 section awards and have received three honorable mentions. We also had a writer finish in the Top-5 in feature writing, and I placed in the top-10 in column writing. We have also won numerous region APSE and APME awards (everyone on the staff has at least 2 or 3).

If you are interested send your resumes to kdhtalbot@gmail.com.

Thanks

2. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Hey guys, sending clips even if I didn't mention it wouldn't hurt. Although, don't bother with a cover letter. I probably won't read that crap. I only care and have time for clips, which I promise I will read until I determine you're either good or stink, and resumes.

And, yes, this was really just to bump it and keep it on page 1.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Pretty good HS football near there, right? Isn't there a team from right by there that's usually a 5A contender? Copperas Cove, maybe?

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

so you guys staff Baylor, UT, A&M and UMHB? Wow. How big is the sports department?

5. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Copperas Cove is a contender, but hasn't made too deep of a run since RGIII played in 2007. Yes, we try to staff all four colleges for football -- home games only for the D-Is and all for UMHB. We have local players at each school (Griffin at Baylor, David Ash at Texas and the backup QB at A&M along with a few others) and try to keep a local angle if we can. We have a staff of five with one of those being exclusive desk work, while I do desk twice a week and others chip in on agate.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Wow, that sounds real solid. If I had any interest in living in Texas I'd think long and hard about it.

7. ecook0808

ecook0808 New Member

Hack- Sent you a email with clips and resume, have you had a chance to read it yet? It was from ecook0808@gmail.com

Thanks!

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not a bad gig. Killeen is near Fort Hood, one of the major army bases, so a little different than some towns of similar size.

9. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

I would love to apply for the reporter position. This sounds fantastic. Only a year and a half until I graduate though...

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Maybe tone down the excitement a tad. Generally asking such questions can take place in non-public settings.

11. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

As a wise man once said, "Desperation is a stinky cologne."

12. ecook0808

ecook0808 New Member

Really not a big deal guys, chill out...Not desperate at all, but thx for the help!

Draft saved Draft deleted