1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening for writer/designer in Northwest Georgia

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Marty Kirkland, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Marty Kirkland

Marty Kirkland New Member

The Daily Citizen, an 11,000 circulation newspaper in Dalton, Ga., will soon have an opening for a writer/designer in a three-person sports department. The balance of this position’s job duties will lean toward writing. However, help with pagination (including handling some solo desk shifts) is expected eventually — so layout experience is a major plus. Our focus is primarily on high school and community sports, but you will be welcome and encouraged to pursue other areas of coverage as need allows and time permits. Along with strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style, you should be dependable and show initiative and creativity. A Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. paper, we’ve done well in both Georgia Press Association and Georgia Associated Press Association competition in recent years and strive to maintain a reputation for thorough coverage of a seven-school, two-county area while making progress in enterprise reporting. Ideas and innovations for improving our presence online and in social networking are also highly valued. Recent college graduates and entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply. While the position will not be open until the end of the month, we are accepting applicants now with plans for a start date in the first week of January. Send a cover letter, resumé and writing/pagination samples to sports editor Marty Kirkland at martykirkland@daltoncitizen.com.

2. I have traveled to Dalton a handful of times to cover events and have always been impressed by the scenery, and the few times I've gone off the beaten path I thought it felt like a nice little community.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Great HS football in the area.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And it's a great place if you need carpet!!!

5. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Dalton is a nice area, close to Chattanooga or Atlanta but far enough away, too.

Great scenery and outdoors opportunities close or within a few hours' drive.

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Certainly is. Beaulieu and Shaw are great companies too. Worked for each.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

And you will work for a guy named Bronson.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Here I'll give my standard spiel about sports writing jobs: The quality of the teams you're covering doesn't have much to do with how happy you'll be in the job. Sure, it's better to cover good teams than lousy ones, but the environment in the newsroom is more important to your happiness. The proximity to Chattanooga, where there is stuff to do when you're not working, is a big pluss. I can't speak to the environment in Dalton, but I have worked for CNHI. This was a dozen years ago, and in my view it was no different from any other chain of small dailies. It has been pilloried on here in the past, and from what I saw, the criticisms were not without merit. No idea if that has changed.

Having said all that, I'll say this: A small paycheck and a less-than-optimal working environment is better than no paycheck and no working environment.

9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I worked at this newspaper for a number of years back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Dalton is a nice little place that's not too far from Chattanooga or Atlanta. I can vouch for the sports editor there, as Marty's a good guy and though I never worked under him when he was editor, I'd imagine he'd be a good editor to work for. Expect a lot of fanaticism from Dalton High's fans (as in, our school can do no wrong kind of stuff), but other than that, it's a pretty good place for prep sports.

10. Marty Kirkland

Marty Kirkland New Member

Thanks for the kind words, Joe. Check's in the mail, etc.
    I've received applications from several strong candidates already, so if you're at all interested, send your stuff in immediately — I'll likely be cutting things off today or tomorrow in hopes of narrowing the field and working toward the interview stage next week.
    Also, if you sent me stuff and have not received a reply from me, you should assume I don't have it. Thanks.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Was told Saturday this has been filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted