1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening for sports designer in Charlotte

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike_Persinger, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Hey folks, I'm not the hiring manager on this, but the person who gets this job in our pub center will work closely with me and the other sports editors in Charlotte. If you have questions, post them here or send them to me at mpersinger@charlotteobserver.com. If you want to apply, that procedure is below.

Here's the ad:

The McClatchy Publishing Center in Charlotte has an opening for an experienced sports designer for our daily sports publications. We are responsible for designing and copy editing The Charlotte Observer, The Raleigh News & Observer and The Rock Hill Herald - from the NFL (Panthers), NHL (Hurricanes) and NBA (Bobcats) to NASCAR to the ACC and SEC. We're looking for a strong designer with demonstrated ability to create dynamic and readable sports fronts. We're seeking someone with at least three to five years experience designing pages on a daily sports desk. Copy editing skills are a plus. Please send a cover letter along with a resume and samples of your work to obsjobs@gmail.com.

2. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I can confirm the pay on this is not so good. Far, far less than Gannett design hubs pay.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Can someone confirm "not so good." Give me a ballpark ... More than 40 but less than 45?

4. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Try about $5k lower than your lowest number. It's pathetic for a place that size.

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

So you're saying the family that owned the Pirates is horrendously cheap? Why, I never...

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wow. Even Halifax, for one tight little chain, reportedly pays more than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted