1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening for sports designer in Charleston, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ballcoach, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ballcoach

ballcoach New Member

The Post and Courier, a 100,000 circulation daily located in Charleston, S.C., is seeking a sports page designer/copy editor. The ideal candidate will possess strong design skills, a knack for writing snappy headlines, the ability to work with reporters and and edit copy under deadline conditions.

Responsibilities include designing/editing sports fronts and inside pages, as well as occasional work on advance pages for Sunday sections and special projects/sections.

Please send resume, references and work samples to:

Malcolm DeWitt
    Sports Editor
    The Post and Courier
    134 Columbus Street
    Charleston, SC 29403
    mdewitt@postandcourier.com

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The resumes will fly in for this one. Charleston is a great place to live and there are plenty of things to do there. The paper is outstanding, too. Some of the sports staffers have been there 20 years or more. That tells me a lot.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Several things on this job:
    They've got a decent mix of young and old.
    I've never heard a bad word about Malcolm (and he's been very professional to me the couple times I've talked to him).
    Larry Williams and Travis Haney are a great one-two punch on the P&C's Clemson-USC beats. They do some great stuff that will obviously lend itself to some cool design ideas. They have a number of other good people: Charlie Bennett, Jeff Hartsell, Ken Burger, Tim Thorsen (unless he's left or this is his job and he's about to leave).
    This is a family owned joint. I had mentioned in another thread that last year they gave their people an extra week of pay for a Christmas bonus. Some people, from what I understand, got an extra two weeks. They are already well-known for being one of the better paying papers in the area. Hard to argue with taking care of your people.

--------------------------------

From the outside looking in, only problem I have with this paper is the Web site. It's way, way behind most 100k circs, not to mention several other much smaller papers around the state.
    That's certainly only a drop in the bucket, though.

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I don't know anything about the paper, but the town is awesome.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Great town, but housing is expensive compared with other Southern cities.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True, but if you get this job and need Realtors who can find a good deal, call....my parents. Never thought I'd get to plug them on SportsJournalists.com!

The paper went through a big redesign 1-2 years ago IIRC, which it needed. The writing in sports has always been good.

7. The paper has actually made a lot of improvements in this area recently. Much, much better than it was.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You can PM me (or e-mail mustardbased@gmail.com) if you've got questions.

9. Bump. Any one hear anything on this job?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

amen.

11. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

The Beaufort thread mentions that SE Dave Hale is leaving for a desk job at the Post and Courier. Is it safe to assume it's this one?

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Interesting detective work. Not sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted