1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening Day Thoughts??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Apr 1, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well Sunday Night's never really felt like Opening Day to me so I'll skip last night (although when I read Astros-Rangers today I still thought it was an inter-league game).

Always fun; things that happen on opening day rarely sustain themselves though, I recall that Cubs 2B Billy? who hit 3 hrs on opening day. Kevin Elster spoiled the Giants opener in 2000 at Pac Bell Park with 2 hrs (or was it 3?) Would love to see the Giants trash Kershaw though (Giants opened last year 0-3 so I don't worry about the opening week)

Yanks down 4-0 to Bosox is always nice though :D

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It was Tuffy Rhodes who hit the three dingers off Doc Gooden on opening day in 1994 for the Cubs. He was an outfielder.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Harper with 2 in 2 ABs? Wow.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's what 50 yrs gets you; bad memory.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I hit the couch right after 1 thinking I would just watch any games that are on. But the Royals don't play until 3 and I don't think I can put up with Yankees-Red Sox.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Since the soccer "haters" never mind being loudmouths:

Could not possibly care less. Too many games, too many meaningless games, too much pretty prose about how wonderful the sport is. Enjoy going to games, and will do that anytime, anywhere. Have no interest in Opening Day, or June baseball coverage, or anything of that nature. A million things happen in a baseball season, only a few of which are truly meaningful to anyone but fans of that team, fantasy geeks, and the agents ready to negotiate new bonuses.

Wake me in August. If the Dodgers are in the race, I'll pay attention (so I don't expect to pay attention). If not, see you in the playoffs.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Get back to us when you learn how to use your hands.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Maybe Tejada will rejuvenate and hit 2 hrs today? (or just continue to hit .185 and refuse to bunt)

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, he knows how to use his hands.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He's on pace to shatter Bonds' all-time home run record with 500 home runs this season.

Which is one inevitable thing about Opening Day. Someone will come up with a record pace story.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Shhh. Don't disturb the walking dead that is the sport of baseball.

12. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Replace the Dodgers with the Cubs, and I agree with every word of this. While we're at it, have the World Series at the end of August.

Draft saved Draft deleted