1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening Day Film Festival

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Apr 1, 2007.

1. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

"The Natural" sucks?

Are some of you people just cynical about everything?

The cover being knocked off the ball and all of that was supposed to look like "hooey." It looked that way to the people in the movie, too. That movie tapped into so much of our archetypal human folk lore - yes, the Arthurian stuff, but also any religious or folk mythology where somebody's coming to lift everyone. Somebody the likes of which has never been seen before. Anchoring that story template in baseball, which has developed an American mythology of its own, wasn't "hooey." It was inevitable.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just keep For "Love of the Game" off of there. Talk about fucking up the book when you make the movie. Awful.

Points to Pressboxer for including "Long Gone." I haven't seen that one in a very long time. Not sure how it holds up today, but it was funny stuff at the time.

"She just loves your ass, kid."

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

How can the The Bad News Bears not have been mentioned yet?

If you want to ignore the two sequels, fine ("let them play"), but don't neglect the original.

But definitely keep Rookie of the Year off the Opening Day Film Festival list.

4. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

I'm with you, Joe. People believe the original "Bad News Bears" is the wacky misadventures of a bunch of ragtag misfits. It really is a darker film about Little League baseball. Not the dopey sequels, but the first one.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bad News Bears (1976 version)
    Major League
    Pride of the Yankees
    Alibi Ike
    Little Big League
    Bull Durham
    The Natural
    Bang the Drum Slowly
    Eight Men Out

On the bench I have
    Cobb
    Elmer the Great
    The Scout
    Mr. Baseball
    Mr. 3000 (also known as Bubbler Strikes Out)

In the pen
    The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings
    The Rookie
    Rhubarb
    It happens every Spring
    and of course, The Babe Ruth story

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Gotta have 'The Naked Gun'
    [​IMG]

7. Field Of Dreams loses points for being overrated nauseating treacle that can't even have Shoeless Joe batting from the correct side of the plate.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, for fuck's sake. Newsflash: SJJ didn't come back from the dead, either. Treacle? Okay, maybe. Maybe. But it's still a classic.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned Fever Pitch.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Maybe part of being a ghost is that you do everything backward. But was it even Shoeless Joe? I mean, wasn't he wearing shoes?

11. Oh, and let's not forget having a black man recite a sickening paean to segregated baseball.
    Not a lot of black folks on that field, either.
    And the movie remains, along with Shawshank, Steel Magnolias for men.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

G'head, Fen, tell us how you really feel.

Don't hold it in like that. It's not good for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted