1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening Day Film Festival

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Apr 1, 2007.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Obviously, many of us here are baseball fans, and more than a few are movie nuts as well. And since some of the best sports movies have a baseball storyline, this is almost a no-brainer. I forget where I stole the idea from (magazine or newspaper feature, most likely), but I've used this for column fodder a couple of times over the years and it always seems to generate spirited debate. And so, it's time for the 2007 Occasionally Annual Opening Day Film Festival.

Here's my Opening Day starting lineup (Note: there is no designated movie rule in this league):

Major League (1989)
    Eight Men Out (1988)
    Baseball (1994)
    Bull Durham (1988)
    It Happens Every Spring (1949)
    Field of Dreams (1989)
    The Natural (1984)
    Bang the Drum Slowly (1973)
    Long Gone (1987)

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I feel pretty confident my dad's watching For Love of the Game, Field of Dreams, or Bull Durham.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

The Pride of the Yankees

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Good list, but The Natural ... ugh. Call up The Rookie, instead.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In a word: Stop smoking crack.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

No amount of crack will ever make The Natural look good. Knocking the cover off the ball? Hooey, man.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The Natural loses points for changing the ending of the book, which completely changes the story.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

How about Fear Strikes Out?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Natural -- the novel -- was meant as a retelling of the Arthurian legend of Percival.

Thus, the feats of greatness are exaggerated, as they were in the retelling of legend in the oral tradition.

I didn't care for the changed ending, either, but let's not shit on it out of hand. It's a great book and a solid movie.

10. rascalface

rascalface Member

Little Big League!

And from the almost a baseball movie file, Brewster's Millions.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You've all completely forgotten about The Sandlot?! You're killing me, Smalls!

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

How dare you all forget "The Comeback Kid," the John Ritter TV movie where he's a minor league hasbeen coaching some kids, one of whom gets run over by a car.

Damn you all!

Draft saved Draft deleted