1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Open records Question: Prep coaching applicants

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

One of the four major high schools canned its veteran football coach shortly after the season over. After announcing the school was putting together a 10-member search committee that would gladly look at applicants from outside the area, the school (two weeks and 20+ resumes and four other finalist interviews later) announced at a press conference Monday night that a longtime assistant (with no prior head coaching on any level other than freshman/JV) was selected as the head coach.

The new coach, a good guy from when I've dealt with him, was a three-sport standout at the school. Both his dad and older brother have won state titles as head coaches.

Although he seems to be a good hire, I'm not sure his resume even comes close to some of the ones who were rumored to have applied.

Is there a way an open records request in Kentucky will net me who all applied or who all was interviewed?

Any help is appreciated.

I know, I know, it's high school. Which is also the bread and butter of our fishwrap.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

In my state, the open records law requires that they give you the names of the "finalists," which I believe constitutes at least three.

3. File a Freedom of Information Act request for the name of the three finalists or any all applicants for the Podunk High football job.
    High school football jobs and applicants at public schools are subject to public record laws.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

In Texas you can get a list of everyone that applied, where they work presently and what their job title is. If you are willing to go to the school and are willing to pay, you can get a copy of every resume of who applied, minus some information like SS#'s, children's names, etc.

Like another poster said, if they are applying for a job at a public school then that information is public. Drop an FOI on the school district and call your state's FOI agency and see if there are any special rules in Kentucky.

Edit: To add to the applying for a job at a public school, anyone can send in an FOI. It could be random town resident, plus it doesn't have to be done on any sort of official paper - obviously it looks better if you do, though. And, this doesn't just pertain to coaches, if you wanted to find out who applied to be a custodian at a public school, you could.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Are the applications an open record while the job is open or only after they've made a hire?

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Once they apply it is fair game. Even if they withdraw their name, the school district has to tell you if they applied.
    I've been having a lot of fun lately with a job out here that had 95 applicants. Apparently some of the coaches were pissed we released their names, but my stance is oh fucking well, you work in the public sector and get paid ridiculous sums of money to coach high school football, so your name gets released when you apply.

Draft saved Draft deleted