1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Open Mic Night ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, May 3, 2007.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Singing is not new for me. But last week I did my first stand up comedy routine in a concert. I did a 5 minute bit about hockey that killed.

A life long ambition finally realized.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'll be playing the role of the donkey.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Read Mitch Albom columns outloud

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

While wearing a Mateen Cleaves or Morris Peterson jersey.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mike Peplowski jersey... special added touch

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

belch one to 20 in greek, backwards.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

In future tense?

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

"What's the deal with airplanes "[/Seinfeld]

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Wondered if anyone had posted about this before, and sure enough ...

You see, once upon a time (pre-children), I actually played guitar a bit -- back before my repertoire was limited to "Frosty the Snowman," "Jingle Bells" and "The 12 Days of Christmas." Nothing fancy, believe me, but I could play a few chords, keep in rhythm and sing somewhat on key. Occasionally at the same time!

So earlier this year (on, of all things, an SportsJournalists.com thread about goals we had for ourselves) I noted that I'd like to play and sing onstage again, even if it was just an open mic night at the local bar.

Tonight was my chance, and it was a lot of fun. Of course, it helps to have as many friends and coworkers along as possible -- it cuts down on the number of rotten vegetables thrown your way. :D

I had a blast playing "On the Way Home" by Neil Young. It's an old Buffalo Springfield song NY wrote about leaving the band, and it fits my current situation to a T. Plus, I didn't forget any of the words. Bonus!

A few beers later, I cranked through a couple of sing alongs, "Take It Easy" and "Proud Mary." My voice went south on the latter ... as I said, it helps to have a sympathetic crowd.

So, to all my friends and (former) co-workers who have been so kind to me in the past few weeks, I salute you here:

"Though we rush ahead to save our time,
    We are only what we feel;
    And I love you,
    Can you feel it now?"

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'd try a little stand-up, since my mom keeps telling me I should go into comedy if journalism tanks.

Otherwise, I'd sing. I've sang in front of everyone in my hometown for about five years during the fair. Singing in front of a crowd of strangers? Piece of fucking cake. :)

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Fucking classic stuff right there.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd open with this:

and end with this:

Draft saved Draft deleted