1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Open Letter about the Tribune Company

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Del_B_Vista, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outstanding letter and an even better close -- not that he'll get an answer..

"Why does a company that owns so many newspapers detest them so?"

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Great letter.

Oh, he'll get an answer, slap. It will be, "You're fired."

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Was that written to appear specifically on Poynter?

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

While going through newspapers of the past 10 days or so, I noticed in the LA Times that a group of 20 prominent Los Angeles citizens, including Warren Christopher, signed a letter objecting to proposed editorial reductions at the Los Angeles Times.

6. He used the word "elan" twice.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm sure that's one of the reasons he wrote it, but I'm sure it went to the publisher-to-be, too. I'd like to think a guy who can write like him wouldn't have much trouble finding a job if they can him for it, but I'm not so sure these days in newspapers.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Most newspapers don't have room for 50,000-word manifestos.

I agree with him every word of the way, but it was alllllllllllllllllllllll toooooooooooooooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuccccccccchhhhhhhhh.

Plus, a waste of time -- the beancounting drones calling the shots don't give a shit about any of that stuff.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Quite a letter. My favorite line: "You're wasting your investment in me."
    I'm sure he's not the only newspaperman who feels that way.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Too bad suits don't look at journos that way. To cost-cutting newspaper execs, a full-time employee with benefits seems to be seen as a liability, not an asset.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I want to believe in this noble journalism and serving the community, but as my journalism professor said -- "The reason a newspaper exists is to make money."

That is why Tribune is in it. That is what the purpose is for. If it doesn't make money, then the paper won't last. Tribune wants it to make more money. That is the world we live in. Newspapers are a business.

And on the Courant: Why should the Tribune staff be immune to what is happening industry wide? Are they somehow special?

If you look at the state of newspapers in Connecticut, it is an absolute bloodbath. Journal Register Corporation has destroyed a handful of dailes. Gannett's Norwich paper is struggling and the building is falling apart. The Manchester Journal Inquirer (family owned) hasn't given their staff a raise in over 4 years -- not cost of living or anything. The Register (JRC owned) is known to do layoffs through attrition (not replacing staff).

The only paper that works is The Day, and that is because it is owned by a trust and doesn't have ridiculous profit goals.

Just sports with the Courant spends a fortune on travel: They travel with Yanks, Red Sox, Pats, Giants, as well as all the major UConn sports.

And does Tribune still give away a yearly Christimas Bonus?

Listen, if this was a unique situation for the Tribune company, I would be a lot more sympathetic. But this is happening across the board. Why should Tribune be different?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Still?

I've been with Tribune 23 years. Never seen a Christmas bonus.

Draft saved Draft deleted