1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oops *** wrong stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably already on college football thread. Oh well.
    Uh, this ain't UNC? Sorry 'bout that.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/08/30/men_parachute_football_game.html

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes it is. But you're Moddy, so its ok.

Oh, and the story itself is still funny. From the start times, if they were planning to deliver the game-ball right before kickoff in Chapel Hill, they probably landed close to during pre-game warm-ups in Durham.

3. Moderator1

I was at UNC's graduation a few years ago when the speaker told this story:

"What a beautiful spring afternoon. What a beautiful area. I'm taking in the scenery as I'm driving here, just enjoying things. There's traffic of course with all that's going on, so things are moving a little slow.
    "I see a car in front of me with a 'Honk if you love Jesus' bumper sticker. So I hit the horn a couple of times. Toot, too.
    "This little old lady gets out of the car in front of me, shakes her fist in the air and screams, 'Why don't you shut the hell up with that horn back there you jerk! I'm going as fast as I can!'
    "I was a little taken aback until I figured out the problem.
    "I was at Duke."

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

This reminds of an experience I had while at USA Today Baseball Weekly.

Editor: We want you to go to Boston for the Tigers-Red Sox series
    Me: OK.

I booked the flight and made hotel reservations. I slept on the flight. As the plane taxied to the gate in Boston, I opened a sports section. The schedule showed Boston at Detroit.

What? I did a double-take.

Sure enough, Boston AT Detroit.

Doh!!

I booked a flight to Detroit and the detour didn't have an adverse effect on my assignment. But I sure felt stupid for not double-checking (which my editor -- in CYA mode, yet correctly -- said I should've done).

5. Moderator1

Didn't the defunct Eastern Airlines have a series of problems with this sort of thing? A flight to Louisville landed in Lexington, that kind of thing? Might be why they are defunct.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I posted it on the FBC thread but this thing is so funny. Of all places to land. At Duke.

7. accguy

accguy Member

I always joked that when East Carolina went into Conference USA that some sucker was going to book a flight to Greenville, SC rather than fly to Raleigh and drive to Greenville, NC.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Wasn't for football, but...ummmm well....ummm....*digging toe in the dirt*....ummmmm........welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    I did it once.

9. Sammi

Sammi Member

Ummmmmmm, wellllllll... I can do better. Drove 3 and a-half hours to Greenville, NC for the ECU pre-season media day... the week before it was scheduled. My excuse: I wanted to be early!

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't know about Eastern but shortly after Northwest merged with Republic Airlines back in the 80s something like that did happen with a Northwest flight.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Once listened to a guest sermon built entirely around the fact that the speaker got sent to the wrong Greenville, and didn't realize it until the Hyatt didn't have his reservation. In his telling, the desk clerk figured out what went wrong in about five seconds, then indicated it was a common occurance.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Buddy of mine once made reservations for a flight to Bowling Green, Ky., for a MAC football game. Luckily, he discovered his mistake, canceled and arrived at Bowling Green, Ohio for the game.
    Me, I've shown up for night games in the morning, not knowing TV had switched the times. But I didn't parachute in.

Draft saved Draft deleted