1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oops! But newsworthy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's a tidbit:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jul/21/oops-fulmer-still-coach/

There are SO many things to update from year-to-year in a guide. I can understand how something like this can slip by. It shouldn't but it can happen.
    So today's question - is it worth pointing it out (and therefore probably hacking off the sports information office)? In the "pick your battles" category, I may have let this one go. Or not. I could be wrong. I often am.

Thoughts?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very minor. Best left ignored.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I could see slipping it in as a secondary notebook item, but it's not a big deal. If Florida's alligator/crocodile controversy a few years ago was newsworthy then you could make a case for this.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It could be worse.

The local rag has started running a stupid "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down." box on the sports front. Today's Thumbs Down was for a certain Mississippi State running back arrested for a DUI charge. Except that instead of identifying Anthony Dixon, they put Anthony Grant in as the name. Now that's an oops.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Very nitpicky to make that public. Sometimes SIDs can be sources too, so why alienate them?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I didn't know Grant had eligibility left...

7. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Could be possible that this is just a joke, maybe a fun jab. Otherwise, it has a stupid fanboi ring to it and is a good way to lose a source.

It shouldn't happen, no excuses made, but a 200 page guide with 8-point or smaller font leaves itself open for a number of small gaffes.

8. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

It's not like they built their football preview section around the tidbit. Just mentioned it.

I can appreciate the argument about not wanting to alienate the SID a lot more than the idea that it shouldn't be reported at all. Obviously it's not a big deal, but it's worth a very small chuckle and fine to include, I think.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

[​IMG]

They look like the bad boys in one of those boy bands. That is some awful posing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted