1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oops! But newsworthy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's a tidbit:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jul/21/oops-fulmer-still-coach/

There are SO many things to update from year-to-year in a guide. I can understand how something like this can slip by. It shouldn't but it can happen.
    So today's question - is it worth pointing it out (and therefore probably hacking off the sports information office)? In the "pick your battles" category, I may have let this one go. Or not. I could be wrong. I often am.

Thoughts?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very minor. Best left ignored.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I could see slipping it in as a secondary notebook item, but it's not a big deal. If Florida's alligator/crocodile controversy a few years ago was newsworthy then you could make a case for this.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It could be worse.

The local rag has started running a stupid "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down." box on the sports front. Today's Thumbs Down was for a certain Mississippi State running back arrested for a DUI charge. Except that instead of identifying Anthony Dixon, they put Anthony Grant in as the name. Now that's an oops.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Very nitpicky to make that public. Sometimes SIDs can be sources too, so why alienate them?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I didn't know Grant had eligibility left...

7. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Could be possible that this is just a joke, maybe a fun jab. Otherwise, it has a stupid fanboi ring to it and is a good way to lose a source.

It shouldn't happen, no excuses made, but a 200 page guide with 8-point or smaller font leaves itself open for a number of small gaffes.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's not like they built their football preview section around the tidbit. Just mentioned it.

I can appreciate the argument about not wanting to alienate the SID a lot more than the idea that it shouldn't be reported at all. Obviously it's not a big deal, but it's worth a very small chuckle and fine to include, I think.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

[​IMG]

They look like the bad boys in one of those boy bands. That is some awful posing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted