1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ooooh ... it happened in NEW YORK ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Jan 7, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

URGENT 
    Johnson agrees to $26 million, 2-year contract 
    Eds: UPDATES thruout with Johnson agent reax, details, contribution line. Moving on sports and sports services. 
    By RONALD BLUM Ž
    AP Baseball Writer Ž

NEW YORK (AP) — Randy Johnson agreed Sunday to a $26 million, two-year contract with Arizona, leaving only physicals and final approvals to complete his trade from the New York Yankees back to the Diamondbacks.

An urgent? Come on, now. What else did we think was going to happen?

Does this mean that when the trade is completed we get an AP Newsflash?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

They also AP alerted Bobby Hamilton dying and that was in Nashville and about a guy who is out of Nextel Cup. So, um, neh.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I can swallow the Bobby Hamilton urgent a lot easier. NASCAR household name dies.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sorry, Shottie ... since it doesn't hurt the readers, and particularly because of where I sit, I'd much rather AP err on the side of more urgents, not less.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Bobby Hamilton is HUGE name in NASCAR, CU. No problem with an urgent on that.

An alert when a new contract is negotiated? Ridiculous. Just because it happens in New York doesn't mean it's worthy of an urgent.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What she said! :p

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

'

Randy Johnson's a "name." He's not technically in New York anymore anyway.

And see previous post above.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I wasn't arguing against one for Bobby Hamilton. I was just pointing out that they do do them for things that happen in other parts of the country.

And I'm not defending the AP, because I think they go overboard on alerts from New York, especially concerning the Yankees, but there are probably more Yankee fans in the country than any other baseball team. Just the way it is.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Again, as I head out the door: What, exactly, is it that AP sending something as an alert hurts?

False adrenaline rush? Other than that, how AP delivers that news has zero impact on readers.

10. Like he said. Johnson's a name, so it deserves some play. And we did not know how it would play out. There was a deadline the D-backs had to beat or the trade falls through.

It sounds like some of us have more problems with the NY dateline than the subject matter. It's AP style to use the dateline where the writer is filing from. The baseball writer is in NY, hence the dateline.

I've got no problems with AP alerting us to breaking news. And the Hamilton death is a no-brainer. He's a big name in NASCAR circles.

11. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

A multiple Cy Young winner getting traded, even if he is past his prime, is pretty newsworthy.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No one is arguing that it's not newsworthy, just that an urgent alert is silly.

Draft saved Draft deleted