1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OnTheRiver gets knocked the f--k out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 28, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Here's what happened, and I only tell you because I celebrate life's hardships as much as I celebrate its good times.

On Monday, shortly after we closed on our new house, I went to our storage unit to get some stuff out to take over to the new place. One of the first items I grabbed was a sand-and-water play table my sons enjoy immensely. Imagine two separate tables, each with four legs, one side of which can fold, cover-of-a-book style, onto the other one. It's a neat toy.

Unfortunately, half this toy -- the water half -- has accumulated water over the past year or so since we got it. Every single bit of it is heavy because, let's face it, shit with water in it can get heavy in a hurry.

So I load the toy into the truck, but then notice it's in crooked. So grabbed one of the yellow legs and pull. Each leg is about as big around as a coffee can, but twice as long. And about one-third filled with water at this point.

[​IMG]

As I pulled, the yellow leg came out.

Somewhere, on a storage unit facility security tape -- I won't tell you which storage unit place because I don't want the tape to get out -- there is footage of me popping myself in the face full-speed with this yellow table leg.

I went down like I'd been shot.

The right side of my face has been a swollen mess ever since.

It hurts to touch it. I've been on Advil ever since. Tonight, as I write to you, the swelling has begun to recede. My hope is that by Wednesday or Wednesday night, I can appear at least half-normal.

For now, my face looks like it went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson, circa 1988.

There. I shared my humiliation.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sorry to hear that, OTR.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Honestly? Part of me thinks it's funny as hell looking back on it.

But then I touch my face and holy shit, it STILL hurts...

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

OTR, that sounds pretty damn funny. Nearly Bugs Bunny-esque.

But congratulations on the new house!

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Do they make a page designer version of this particular table? Can the legs be filled with something other than water, such as molten lead?

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You are a brave man, indeed. But we've all done stupid stuff, whether we care to admit it or not.

When I was in middle school, I decided to shoot some hoops one day after class. It was March, in the mid-60's, one of those days with snow on the ground the consistency of a snow cone. Somewhere along the line I decided it'd be a good idea to throw a snowball at the basketball.

In retrospect, I'd have been better served just slamming my face into the snowball as hard as I could with my eyes open. At least then I would've been expecting it. Blinded and humiliated, I made quick retreat into the house, and have never spoken of it till now.

Your face hurts more... but we've all done dumb stuff. :)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes they do. There's a version specifically filled with shit -- from poloponies.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

".......you gonna get knocked the FUCK OUT"...[berniemacinoriginalkingsofcomedy]

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Oh man, OTR, hope the swelling goes down soon. Did you see stars when you went down like Frazier?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I feel bad for laughing, but you described it so well that I laughed in humor, feeling your pain. Thanks for sharing. But be honest, were you:

• Glass Joe
    • Von Kaiser
    • Piston Honda
    • Don Flamenco
    • King Hippo
    • Great Tiger
    • Bald Bull
    • Soda Popinski

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mama said knock you out!

12. Bubbler