1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only thing sadder than Carlin's death is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jun 25, 2008.

1. My very hip mother loves him. She tried to get me into it but it was just too strange.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This thread reminds me of when Hedberg died (at 37), and some comedian responded with, "Great, and fuckin' Jimmy Fallon will live to 103."

I listen to the standup comedy station on XM quite a bit, and there's some good stuff out there (Ron White, Jim Gaffigan, Lewis Black), but to me Chris Rock is the only guy who's been in the realm of Carlin lately. Rock has that same razor sharp evisceration of stupid people, but with his own style.

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Jim Gaffigan, Louis C.K., Daniel Tosh, John Mulaney. There are others. I disagree though, there's plenty of good stuff out there. It's just not the most popular guys.

I think some of Tosh's stuff is outstanding.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

In the same mold as Hedberg and Demetri Martin, I'll take Zach Galifianakis.

I'll second Izzard and Oswalt. My mother, oddly enough, is also a big Izzard fan.

6. It must be the dress.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Works strictly in Vegas now I believe

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think he's stopped cross-dressing for his act.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I like the Blue Collar Comedy guys (save for Larry the Cable Guy...who reminds me too much of my cousin.) Then again, I come from the school of Git-R-Done (literally...senior slogan of my high school class, right there. :headdesk: ) out in the Midwest, so many of the jokes they have apply to either me or my direct family.

I've been a HUGE fan of Bill Engvall since the mid-90s. He'll always be my favorite but I do hold a soft spot in my heart for Ron White, who made me laugh so hard during the original BCCT that I had to pause the DVD for five minutes so I could catch my breath.

I do agree with the previous posters - comics like Carlin and Richard Pryor can't really do their brand of comedy anymore because everyone is so fucking afraid of stepping on everyone else's toes. This is life. It isn't politically correct. Deal with it.

10. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

I think something sad about Carlin's demise is a-holes emailing me these essays that were supposedly written by him but obviously weren't. Paradox of Our Times or I'm a Bad American or some shit like that. Makes me want to puke.
    And Artie Lange's funny.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Understandably, I've been an Izzard guy from close to the start of his career, thanks to the fact that I was there when he was just breaking through.

I would certainly add my voice to those who are looking at this with the view that Carlin was one of those 'once in a generation' types, something I think Rock is for my generation. I'll never forget seeing 'Bring the Pain' on British TV for the first time, and now I have close to all of his specials. And as great as both of those guys, Bruce, Pryor, Martin, Murphy and all the rest were, they are legends for a reason. There aren't many of them, and they rose above what were the average stand-ups of their eras for a reason.

One other thing is stand-up as an art-form has evolved and taken lots of detours along the way. I remember seeing the film of David Steinberg's "Moses and the Burning Bush" sermon that got the Smothers Brothers in hot water from the late 60's, and you can probably look at some of the stand-up monologues the SB's and Rowan and Martin did on their shows as having taken stand-up in another direction, back towards the vaudeville days of buddy acts, but with a more modern edge. I think a lot of that humor, which was politically relevant, and at the time highly incendiary as a result of the state of the nation, is remembered and revered more than the acts some have mentioned that currently rely purely on schtick and catchphrase.

As for those who are currently working regularly, I'm a big fan of Lewis Black and Demitri Martin, and whoever brought up Zach Galifianakis is dead on. I'm a big fan of not just his, but the other three -- Patton Oswald, Brian Pohsehn and Maria Bamford -- who did the Comedians of Comedy tour. Another is John Oliver, who you may better know as a Daily Show correspondent, but recently had his first hour-long show on CC. Finally, I'd like to mention Jon Stewart, who killed me when I went to see him a few years ago, and some of my friends when he was here last year.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the Comedians of Comedy foursome. I watch that every time I see it on the tube. The best part is those guys off stage are just as funny as they are on stage. Some of the popular comics (Dane Cook, Larry the Cable Guy) aren't all that funny off-stage when they're "not in character."

Lewis Black was mentioned earlier as being in Dane Cook and LTCG category, but I disagree. Black does have a shtick, but the guy is funny. And he doesn't give a shit.

I tell you who I'm also starting to like is Jim Norton. I think he's hysterical on Opie and Anthony and his HBO show was pretty damn entertaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted