1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only thing sadder than Carlin's death is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jun 25, 2008.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

What's left behind in his wake (or after his wake) in terms of comedy. Aside from Seinfeld and Chris Rock, two guys that really are committed to the art of stand up, from there is a Who's Who of slaps. Carlos Mencia, Dane Cook, Lewis Black, Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy are your starters going by popularity. The only guy I like on that starting five is Black. Aside from that, who's left? Robin Williams is going back out on tour for the first time in years this year. Eddie Murphy hasn't toured in years and probably never will again, nor will Martin Lawrence or Bill Cosby. I find Robert Schimmel and Doug Stanhope hilarious, but they're both too dark and perverted to ever become mainstream. Dennis Miller's career died the minute he jumped over to his new position of GOP spokesman.

Honestly, who we got left?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Honest to goodness, I thought BYM's post was going to end with ...Dane Cook is alive.

So I was pretty close.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ron White is very good and fairly popular. Got famous as part of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, but he's put out a couple of his own albums now too.

Bill Engvall isn't too bad either.

Larry the Cable Guy is awful.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

You're pretty damn close. I was texting with Ms. Matador about the first SNL with Carlin running Saturday, which led to a conversation about how few "good" comedians are left. She texted back, "Dane" and I God damn fucking near went Bobby Knight on her.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dane Cook... funny... wow...

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

It's pretty bad out there right now. Most of the comics are hack, because that's what the corporations want pushing their product(s).

I read a great story a while back about how standup comedy is dying because of guys like Dane Cook, Mencia, Larry the Cable Guy and others who just find a gimmick and shtick (pun intended) with it forever.

It's no wonder SNL is as bad it's ever been. It's because most comedians these days don't actually work on improvisation as much as trying to find a gimmick that sells.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

Our society is getting dumber by the minute and the masses don't want someone who will challenge them to think and laugh at the same time. You can listen to a vacuous slap like Cook for an hour and not be forced to jog your brain once. Carlin did it in 10 minutes. I hate to say it but I think a lot of people went to Carlin's shows towards the end or watched his HBO specials because he was George Carlin, the legend. If BitterYoungMatador went the stand-up route in 2008 with Carlin's approach, command of the language, work ethic and mental facilities I'd probably be labeled "too bitchy and political" and probably wouldn't rise above the level that Doug Stanhope has.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, that, and you'd spend 60 minutes ranting about Wlat.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

If Dave Chappelle were still going, he'd be right up there, both in terms of talent and popularity. I realize that's a big What If?

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

That Chappelle guy is still pretty funny and he's been known to pop up and do marathon sets at comedy clubs every now and then.

I'm really hoping that, if there is anything good to come of Carlin's passing, is that Paul Mooney might want to take over that spot as the elder irreverent comedian. If HBO gave him an hour...I'd watch it.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There are some very good comedians out there, but no one with the staying power of Carlin. But how many comedians like him are there anyway? He's the best. It'll be a long, long time until someone comes close to being a George Carlin.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Wrong, it'll never happen again. Because the PC police won't let it.

Guys like Carlin, Pryor, Lenny Bruce, Steven Wright, et al are a thing of the past. If it makes you think, or is borderline offensive, agents/bookers won't touch it.

And that makes me sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted