1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only the Cubs...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Armchair_QB, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Carlos Zambrano may go on the DL after being whacked in his pitching elbow with a fungo bat by White Sox coach Joey Cora.

Just fucking shoot me.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub12.html

Cora mishap with fungo bat KO's Zambrano

July 12, 2006

BY CHRIS DE LUCA Staff Reporter

PITTSBURGH -- A freak accident involving White Sox third base coach Joey Cora and Cubs All-Star Carlos Zambrano could send the right-hander to the disabled list for the first time since 2002.

Zambrano was the only Cubs representative at the All-Star Game on Tuesday night at PNC Park, and he was sent home with a bruised elbow -- the last thing the team's banged-up staff needed.

X-rays were negative, and Cubs trainer Mark O'Neal was alerted by medical officials at the game. Zambrano is expected to undergo further tests today in Chicago.

Though he was slated to pitch two innings, Zambrano was knocked out of the game after being struck accidentally by a fungo bat swung by Cora during batting practice. Cora and the rest of the Sox coaching staff left PNC Park immediately after the game.

Through a Sox spokesperson, Cora said he was hitting fungos near the batting cage when Zambrano approached to do interviews with Venezuelan reporters.

Cora said he struck Zambrano's pitching arm on one of his backswings.

Zambrano wasn't available after the game, but NL manager Phil Garner of the Houston Astros said the right-hander was shelved because of the bruise.

''I had him scheduled to pitch the fourth and fifth innings,'' Garner said. ''It's a bruise, that's what they told me.''

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, who guided the AL stars, said he was unaware of the incident.

''The way Joey swings the bat, he couldn't have hurt anyone,'' Guillen said.

The Cubs have already lost right-hander Kerry Wood (shoulder) for the rest of the season, and right-hander Mark Prior skipped a start over the weekend because of a strained left oblique and could also be headed back to the disabled list.

Zambrano would have been in line to start Friday, but that now seems highly unlikely.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow ... this sounds like a case of White-y keeping the man down!

Gotta love this line from Oz ... ''The way Joey swings the bat, he couldn't have hurt anyone,'' Guillen said.

3. Yeah, this would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. I mean, he was the only guy there for the Cubs and has this happen. Also, I'm sure someone else can fill in/correct the details if I'm getting them wrong, but didn't Cora and Zambrano get into it verbally earlier this year? I think it was after AJ hit a HR off Zambrano. Zambrano, as he has a tendency to do, thought AJ was showing him up when he pointed to the sky after crossing home plate, so he yelled something, some kind of warning, to Cora in Spanish. Something like tell AJ the next one's going to be at his head. I'm pretty sure those two got into something earlier in the season. So it's kind of ironic that it's Cora's bat doing the harm to Zambrano.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Goddammit!

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow, were you channeling me there, IJAG?

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If it were Prior or Wood, this would be a season-ending injury. Big Z's no hypchondriac, though.

I've reached the numb part of this season, anyway. I read the A.M. papers expecting bad news.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I hope he gets examined by the same guys who didn't bother to do an arthrogram on Kerry Wood.

Armchair, you and I go back a long way in our shared anguish...best thread ever was the I Can't Watch masterpiece during the Season of Bartman...but we need to boycott this train wreck. God knows the Cubs organization has.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

As an Astros loser fanboy, I have only one thing to say...

[​IMG]

Sorry guys

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm with 21 on this. Actually, I've already started. I haven't watched a Cubs game, not even a minute, in about three weeks.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Zambrano does on the DL, does this go down as an All-Star Game injury on par with Fosse and Dizzy Dean?

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'd love to help, but I still watch them whenever I can on WGN of mlb.tv. I wish it wasn't this way, but I have to watch. I'm masochistic.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Remain calm. All is well...

Draft saved Draft deleted