1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only people who pay income tax should vote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://johntreed.com/norepresentationwithouttaxation.html

Hey, why stop there? Why not go back to white male property owners?

This guy's plan is simple, as he says it is. But why is fair or logical?

Last time I checked, the working poor or even the non-working poor, were not the problem in this country.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think only people with rational auto loans and actual transmissions should get to vote.

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Well, then maybe the one percenters will start paying some taxes

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

The working poor and working lower-middleclass pay plenty into Federal and state taxes even if they don't owe additional money on April 14. This guy's point is based on a fallacy.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh, they've been banging that drum for years.

When I was first starting out in the early 1980s, we used to get letters to the editor all the time that renters should not be allowed to vote in school millage elections "since they don't pay property taxes."

Always from the same bunch of proto-teabaggers: grouchy crotchety old fucks who hadn't had kids in the house in 40 years, so they didn't want to pay no school taxes, period.

Oh, also from townies in university towns who don't want those long-haired hippie students coming in and getting themselves elected to city councils, etc etc.

Never mind the courts ruled decades ago that renters in fact do pay property taxes (even if only indirectly through their rents). Everybody knows those judges were just libbural pinkos.

Back to the main topic, it's just more of the systematic campaign by the Uberclass to disenfranchise everybody they possibly can.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I've worked two minimum wage jobs, and on Election Day, I was the only one of about 20 who actually went out and voted. While I imagine this dude is just bringing up the issue on principle, in application, I doubt there are a slew of people who aren't paying income taxes, or don't pay that much, but who are still going out to vote.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Everyone pays taxes.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't tell that to Leona Helmsley.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The same people who have the right to vote should be the same people only accepted into the military.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

How many states still use millage as a basis for school taxes?

In Texas they use the whole dollar, as in $1.00 per $1,000 valuation.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In another article, the guy argues that any form of progressive income tax is Marxist because it's based on the "from each according to their ability to each according to their needs" principle and he argues for a "head tax" a certain dollar amount every adult has to pay every year, regardless of how much they make or their ability to pay it.
    He really thinks that people who don't make as much money as he does are freeloading while rich people are forced to pay other people's fair shares as well as their own.
    He says rich people are a minority that has rights.
    Fuck him and his rights. He can afford to pay more taxes than I can so he should.
    Now can someone please explain to me why that makes me a Marxist?

Draft saved Draft deleted