1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only one newspaper allowed in Colorado Prison

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rudy Petross, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/139517

And I thought cruel and unusual punishment was outlawed in this country.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not a prison, but a county jail. The reasoning is ridiculous, but most top law enforcement officials have little to no common sense.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In a way, I can see the jail's argument. They don't want convicted kidnappers and sex offenders reading about young local kids, and deciding to prey on them when they get out.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They had the same policy at the local jail I used to deal with, but mainly to keep prisoners from learning about developments in cases involving other prisoners. It made sense to me. Though I did find it funny that the show they were watching when I walked through was Cops.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I read it as they didn't want the inmates to know when child molestors were going to their jail so they could rape them to death.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I read it the same way.

A few years ago we had a young girl murdered in town. The sheriff arrested a guy from the neighborhood on a minor outstanding warrant and made a huge deal about it, suggesting this was probably the killer.

So in the common area of the jail the inmates are watching the local news, see the video of the dude being arrested... and realize the suspect is sitting there in the room with them. They beat him nearly to death. He had to have his spleen removed. He had a scar from the surgery that made it look like the doctor used a can opener.

He had nothing to do with the murder, as it turned out.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hope that guy owns that county now.

Draft saved Draft deleted