1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Apr 26, 2009.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Way back when, there were no speed limits on the open road in Nevada. On this road, I got my '63 Chevy Impala up to 100 mph. Got kinda shaky so I backed off and kept it about 80. At one point, a highway patrol car went by me like I wasn't even moving.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It would be cool to see what a NASCAR could do on a straight stretch of freeway with only a few gentle turns.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Once, when on a trip to Houston for the college paper, got a rental car up to 110MPH on the I-10 between New Orleans and the Texas border. Along there, it's raised highway, two lanes in either direction and separate bridges for both directions. The only way you're getting caught is if you blow by a cop. So, I took it to 110.

Next day, driving back east from Houston, I got nailed for doing 65 in a 55 just inside the Texas border (before the split starts). Felt like telling the cop "Sixty five? You should have seen me yesterday!"

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

C'mon, guys.

My gearhead husband had each of our kids above 100 before their first birthdays.

5. certainly something to be proud of

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Vidor?

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Because you were, Metric Man.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

Used to live in Nevada, though much farther from this race. Saw it late at night on ESPN2. Looked like all sorts of fun.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No sir. Was quite aware of my going 100 MPH and not KPH

10. lono

lono Active Member

This sort of thing is dangerous. :eek:

And that's why I've never driven faster than 155 mph.

At least not on a public road. ;)

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

The first few miles, either way, at the Louisiana-Texas state line on Interstate 10 are notorious for cops who get off on nailin' your ass for driving even 7, 8 miles over the limit.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Which was neither reasonable nor prudent.

I'll admit, once upon a time, on a lonely stretch of road in western Canada, I got it up to 104 MPH before looking down at the speedometer. Nothing around to hit even if I had tried.

Draft saved Draft deleted