1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in Ohio: Smoking ban in cars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 7, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't know how much of a nanny state is the right amount, but I think prohibition was a remarkably successful way to deal with the problems related to alcohol. Let's try it with tobacco. Then we can set up a "War on Tobacco," just like that great "War on Drugs," and fill up our prisons with lots of non-violent poor people. And as an added bonus we can watch more people die in the war on tobacco than are dying from tobacco use in the first place. Personally, I kinda miss the good old days when we used to subsidize tobacco. But since there is no approach available to politicians other than the extremes, yeah, if we aren't going to subsidize it, we certainly should be regulating it's use in as many ways as possible. We need a tobacco police force, actually. Because a lot of good is going to come from that.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Either legalize it all, or ban it all. And I mean "it all." Coke, heorin, LSD, crack. I don't give a shit. Legalize it and tax it, just like they do alcohol and tobacco.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. Zag is just throwing shit at the wall because the facts don't fit his argument.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Clearly the ATF needs to increase its "community awareness" budget.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think we should go back to the good old days when you could smoke in your office, hospitals, doctors' offices, restaurants grocery stores, elevators, subways and streetcars.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If they ever ban smoking we can put Eric Holder in charge of the "Fast and Furious" cigarette smuggling ring.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wrong...

http://www.smokingaloud.com/index.html

8. zagoshe

Ooh wait - we forgot - OOP has his Hines Ward headband on and he and ten of his buddies - one who is smoking a cigar -- are circle jerking off to his Big Ben poster when he has a heart attack and dies "smoking related death"

9. zagoshe

JR was playing goaltender in his 50 and over ice hockey league and the guy who is warming him up is smoking a cigarette while he is firing shots at JR. One of his shots is so hard it breaks his mask and smashes his nose up into his brain and kills him --- smoking related death......

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No science, but hey, a swastika. What could be more trustworthy?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I assume you mean that website Zag tried to use as "evidence" before going back to his lame jokes.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is this the Onion?

The first modern, nationwide tobacco ban was imposed by the Nazi Party in every German university, post office, military hospital and Nazi Party office, under the auspices of Dr Karl Astel's Institute for Tobacco Hazards Research, created in 1941 under direct orders from Adolf Hitler himself. [Robert N Proctor] Major anti-tobacco campaigns were widely broadcasted by the Nazis until the demise of the regime in 1945.[15]

Zag, with all due respect, you're out of your fucking mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted