1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in Ohio: Smoking ban in cars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

At least you'll know where to send the bill when your health insurance premiums go up.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dammit!

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The rationale probably runs along these lines:
    Homes and cars are private property, but a car travels on the public roadways so we should be able to regulate what goes on in them .. for the sake of the kids and other drivers, of course.
    I live in Ohio, I'm a non-smoker and I feel smoking in a car, enclosed or otherwise with children present, is at the very least dumb and inconsiderate, but I think the proposed law is too invasive. I think the intent is good as far as health issues go, but good intentions shouldn't be the measuring stick for the restricting an individual's rights.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You wear a seatbelt?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It isn't restricting your individual rights. You're alone? You're in the car with other adults? Smoke away. Fog those windows up.

There is no right to poison your children.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Only in Ohio ... and Arkansas ... and California ... and Hawaii ... and Louisiana ... and Maine ... and Oregon ... and Puerto Rico ... and Australia ... and Finland ... and Ireland ... and British Columbia ... and Newfoundland ... yeaaaagh!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_bans_in_private_vehicles

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Pretty much the same. I was a senior in high school and if I went somewhere with my dad (to a ball game or whatever), he would always offer me smokes. Great influence, that guy! I turned out fine though.

State and federal government want to regulate everything, but they can't. If there is a soccer mom in a minivan with tinted windows and two young kids in the back, how would any cops see them? Would cops just start pulling over anybody who is smoking? Too many subtleties to take seriously.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This thread hit rock bottom when someone says this law is an infringement on individual rights. Seriously?

You're abusing your children and that's a right?

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Every time I see a pregnant woman smoking (and, blessedly, it's rare), I want to shoot her with a fire extinguisher.

I do fear this particular law would lend itself to very, very selective enforcement.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^ Has to be 50 times I've seen that picture and it makes me laugh every time.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Yes, I wear a seatbelt because I want to live if I'm in an accident.
    The fact it's the law is secondary to my thinking on that matter.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know a group who love when these kinds of laws continue to be pushed by the "let's give up our freedoms for the greater good" pussies who act like we are all weak and need government to save us from ourselves....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted