1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in Ohio: Smoking ban in cars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Or just tax the hell out of them, considerably more than they do now.

How do they enforce that? It would have to be hard to spot in a car going 100 KPH. Although probably a bit easier on city streets.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You could smell it as it passes by :)

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Smokers should have to register like sex offenders.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

As a former smoker, it's my belief that if being fat produced the same odor as cigarette smoke those people would be targeted just as much.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think that's entirely true. Another person's fatness doesn't affect my health or comfort (except on an airplane I guess). Another person's smoking does.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nope. And I don't smoke.

Once you open the door a crack, someone will want to throw the door open all the way. It's a slippery slope. Valid points are being made by both sides, but in the end it comes down to government intrusion.

8. LongTimeListener

I have no problem with the government intruding to help children whose parents refuse to look out for them. You don't have a right to fuck up someone else's health or life just because it's your spawn. So I don't mind the theory of the law.

But I don't see how it can be applied practically.

9. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Fixed.

10. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

My parents have smoked around me forever. My mother smoked in our restaurant when my infant was in the (very small) cafe with us. I mean, come on people.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I grew up with parents who smoked. In middle school a teacher asked if unsmoked because my clothes reeked of it.
    They still do it, but when I bring Lil Rhody over dad opens all the doors and windows for like an hour and then they smoke outside. Her stuff still comes home stinking. I scolded my mother about the smell and she said 'oh, you always had such a sensitive sense of smell.' I told her she doesn't notice the smell because the house just stinks.
    Strangely enough, I've never even tried a cigarette. Growing up around them grossed me out.

12. LongTimeListener

I am not sure what your point is, but the only conclusions we can draw here are that your parents are enormously selfish and you don't look after your kids the way you should.

Draft saved Draft deleted