1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in Ohio: Smoking ban in cars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Government gone too far? Or in the name of health and safety?

Ohio is considering a ban on smoking for people who have kids in the car.

Seems like this might be harder to enforce than a texting-while-driving ban.

http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/content.detail/id/541918/Ohio-may-ban-smoking-in-cars.html?nav=5002

I can understand the rationale (smoking is bad for you and kids), but come on? This is too much.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: Only in Ohio: Smoking ban for drivers

My dad smoked in the car, in the house, everywhere when I was growing up. It was finally when we moved to Kentucky (when I was 15) that my mom made him start smoking in the garage. He has been ever since. So ... yeah. People do it.

3. Re: Only in Ohio: Smoking ban for drivers

It gives the police another tool to harass poor people, which is the most important thing. So I wholeheartedly support this legislation.

4. imjustagirl

Re: Only in Ohio: Smoking ban for drivers

Also, this thread title is horrible. It's not a smoking ban for drivers. It's a smoking ban for anyone in a car with children.

The thread title is somehow more AND less restrictive than the actual suggested bill.

5. Re: Only in Ohio: Smoking ban for drivers

What's the difference between smoking in a car with kids or in the house with kids?

I'm the opposite of you; a nonsmoker who detests cigarette smoke. It's harmful to kids and it's bullshit parents smoke in front of their kids when it has been well established the health probelms they contract related to smoke.
    But in the car? Again, that ain't too far of a leap to banning smoking in the house.
    Smoking in a car? How does that even register as an DMV-level offense? I guess they better deputize the health department so they can make stops.

Before they do this start busting pregnant women who smoke.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ontario has had a law like that in place for three years now.

Someone has to think of the children. :)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe because the car is a much more confined space than a house?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't know anybody who allows smoking inside their house in this day or age--even if one or both of the parents are smokers. Get thee outside.

9. imjustagirl

I smoke in my house when it's too hot or too cold. I paid for it.

10. Think they spend more time in a car or a house?
    Doubt it really matters...
    If they are going to go this far, thery need to make smoking cigarettes illegal.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I am in favor of this.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ever been to central Pa? I've lost count of how many times I've pulled up to a car with two kids strapped in the back seat, the windows rolled up and Mom's puffing away.

Too bad we can't make a law banning white trash.

Draft saved Draft deleted