1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ONLY in high school baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 26, 2013.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That's tough. Sometimes it's hard to separate the coach and umpire in ya

I would be pissed at my partner if he did that. You've got to get focused.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not the ump's job to tell the batter to touch the plate anyway. If defense notices she doesn't touch the plate, they can appeal.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

When I was the trainer for my school's baseball team my senior year, one of our guys missed third. The umpire saw it and called him out when he touched home. We were told an appeal isn't necessary in high school if the umpires sees the runner missed a base. When he touches the next one, he's out. If he misses home, he's out as soon as he steps in the dugout.

I don't know if that's actually the rule in high school or if it was the umpire covering his ass. I haven't seen that come up again since then and this happened in 1986.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Incorrect. It is an appeal play.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Actually, in 1986, that was a correct call. High school baseball had a modified rule for dealing with appeal plays. It was changed in the early to mid 90s to come closer to the pro rule.

There are now two type of appeals in high school. A "live ball" appeal, which is the same as the pro rule and a "dead ball" appeal, which once all playing action is done, the defense can call time and say that a runner missed a base without throwing the ball or touching the base.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Concur. Used to be an automatic out.

However, with the dead ball appeals, I still make them tag the bag. Just a reinforcement of what they're appealing. I know they don't HAVE to, but I want to ensure we're on the same page.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

My guess is the ball landed foul, but was still moving when the first baseman threw his glove and hit it. It's not truly foul until it's legally ruled dead.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That's not true completely. And regardless, it's still a foul ball and the penalty is for touching a FAIR batted ball. The umpires screwed the pooch on this one. They were close, but wrong.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I saw video of Yu Darvish doing that this week!

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

Draft saved Draft deleted