1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in Gwinnett County Ga. -- they don't like Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Danny Noonan, May 29, 2007.

1. Sort of along those lines: It surprises me that the whack jobs show up in Gwinnett and Cobb counties out of all 159 counties in Georgia. Cobb and Gwinnett are the bastions of Atlanta's sprawl; both are pushing toward a million citizens each and both are by large majorities transplanted northerners. Cobb BTW was the county that put stickers in its science textbooks saying evolution is "just a theory." I think a judge righted that wrong too eventually.

Like the poster above, I'd expect this in some of the rural counties in the state, perhaps some of the smaller counties in suburban Atlanta. But I thought transplanted yankees had better sense than this. This is definitely an embarrassment for Gwinnett.

2. boots

boots New Member

It didn't take much. Gwinnett's been an embarrassment for quite some time.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You guys are awful judgmental.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Harry Potter was a voice of reason during a time of great madness. Where others were chanting, "Burn, baby burn", he was talking about love and peace and prosperity. He coined the phrase, "Make love, not war". I cherished every one of his books, and I dearly wish he had written some more. And if you experienced even a little bit of the Sixties, you would feel the same way, too.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

3BF: Naw. We're just not interested in playing this game -- and will crawl over forty yards of broken glass to vote against anyone who even HINTS that we should be forced to play the game in question.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Any religion... in fact, any book that says "Oh God," "Jesus Christ," or "You're a cross I bear."

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I just reread the story... So Wingnut wants to ban Harry Potter because witchcraft is a violation of church and state.
    Then says this?

"I have a dream that God will be welcomed back in our schools again," Mallory said. "I think we need him."

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Faulty wiring, Slap.

They truly need to teach logic/reasoning in schools.

9. I was about to jump on her arguing to put God back in schools, but I was beaten to that punch many times.
    But I will add that it always scares me how quick some people are to censor.
    I believe in the marketplace of ideas. I trust my own child to be smart enough to sort it out for herself.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

People like her don't get that. If you could ever get them to be truly honest, they will never be happy until their faith becomes the national religion and this nation's laws are based upon it. Anybody of a different faith can either get out or keep their religious ideas to themselves.

[/quote]

The first amendment saves religious zealouts from themselves, I'm afraid.

11. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Talking about these books being about witchcraft is a clear indication she never actually read them.

Yes, they're about characters who are "witches" and "wizards" but they are about witchcraft the same way Paris Hilton is about celibacy.

12. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I still believe that just because a woman pops out a few kids doesn't mean she's suddenly a fucking expert at everything and has authority tell me what can and can't be made available to all others because of her idiocy.

When will people like her just go away?

Draft saved Draft deleted